Thread: Fish Market in Bonaire

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Fish Market in Bonaire

There are many great restaurants in Bonaire, but we are now spending so much time here that we mostly like to cook at home. The variety of choices at Van Den Tweel and elsewhere has improved over time immensely but I don't know the best place to get pan ready fish.

I am not that expert at cleaning, dressing and filleting the entire thing so picking up a whole one is not my first choice. I was hoping someone could recommend where one could get, for example, a couple of nice fresh snapper fillets ready to be dropped into a butter and garlic laden pan, salted and peppered with a squeeze of lime on the side.

Any good choices?

Thanks

Andy

I cannot verify any of the following, this from a google search. I have seen the last one discussed elsewhere. Good luck, we will be looking for the same in Feb.

Some of my favorite places to buy fish are as follows:
    Doei Diaz
    J.A Abraham Boulevard
    next to Richardís Restaurant

Doei is the Dad to windsurf guru Elvis Martinus. Head over around 3 PM and ask for fresh fish. Itís usually sold in bags with steaks vs filets. The building is pink.

Luis Wijman (also known as Junie)
    Kaya Gutu, Antriol

Turn left on the paved road, Kaya Karpitan, just south of Progresso Supermarket in Antriol. Turn right on the second road on your right, Kaya Purunchi. Then take the second left, Kaya Gutu, itís the second house on the left hand side of the road.

Nilo and Luvia Josephia
    Kaminda Lac (the winding road to Sorobon)

The second to last house on the right on the road to Lac Bay/Sorobon. If you come to the ballfield you went too far so go back. The house is brown and there is a sign ďaki ta bende piskaĒ. The blackboard and open gate indicate when they have fish.

Here is a second description of the third location:
    You can also drive toward Lac Bay on the road from the roundabout by Van den Tweel. Look for a light blue house on the right side (about 3/4 mile from the roundabout). There is a small sign re: pisca/piscado on the gate. Although it looks like a residential house, they have a small store inside with today's catch. The freshest on the island and you won't pay tourist prices.

Appreciate the response. We will explore those options and report back.

Andy

We did a low pass by the third spot today, but being Sunday it was closed. It is now the third from last house as someone built one more, and as stated in mcgoslers last submission is now blue, not brown. The name is Zarpin. We will try it this week and report.

Andy

The best time of day to find fish for sale is late afternoon after the boats have returned.

As promised, here is a follow up:

We swung by Zarpin at about 4 this afternoon and met an extremely personable young gentleman who showed us the fish in his display case. There were some pre-cut choices plus whole barracuda, jacks and red snapper. He also indicated he had other choices in the freezer. The fresh snapper looked very appealing and it was $10 per kilo. For the two of us I thought one fish would be adequate, about one half kilo ( 1 pound). I indicated that I was not that capable of dressing the fish so he offered to fillet it at no charge. He also offered up to package the head and remaining parts if we wished to make soup, but I declined and took two expertly cut fillets home for under $5.

In the pan with butter, garlic, salt and pepper, then when cooked and removed, deglazed the pan with white wine and reduced for a flavourful sauce over top of the fish, rice, peas and green salad.

A great experience there and we will be back frequently.

Thanks mcgosler for the advice

Andy
    Last edited by agd; 4 Days Ago at 08:32 PM.

I'm happy to hear that you were successful, and hope not too many people read this thread before February..... this location is not far from where we will be staying this year. I expect we will be visiting them more than once.