Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Limits Divi-Divi

Default Weight Limits Divi-Divi

Divi-Divi weight limits are very strict - 18 kilo checked, one single carry on 5 kilo max. Two questions.

First, Do they really weigh carry-on?

Second, They told me that if my checked bag was over I could pay $2 per kilo but my bag might come on the next plane or the next day. Is that likely? My flight is the first one out in the morning - leaves 7:15 am.

$200 Bonair to Aruba one way and they can't accomodate my baggage? Thinking I made a mistake to fly Divi.
    I believe in disbelief - except in cases of unexpected miracles and pure luck.

Yes ... they will weight your bags, many similar island hopers also weigh the passengers and then tell you where to sit. These are very small prop planes, they are also very reliable and safe. Great carrier between the islands.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

we have been on planes to different islands and depending on your weight they will place you on different sides of the plane---also 1-time I got to sit up front in co-pilot seat as knew something about a plane! Same experience on the luggage on both cost and also might.....I REPEAT MIGHT...arrive on the next flight or might be next day which ever works out first. I found that taking a big slow breath of island air with a cold beer helps. Cornhusker

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    we have been on planes to different islands and depending on your weight they will place you on different sides of the plane---also 1-time I got to sit up front in co-pilot seat as knew something about a plane! Same experience on the luggage on both cost and also might.....I REPEAT MIGHT...arrive on the next flight or might be next day which ever works out first. I found that taking a big slow breath of island air with a cold beer helps. Cornhusker
    I've gotten my bags as small and light as possible - 2 carry-on size bags - no big suitcase. But, diving equipment is heavy and neither bag is within the limits. I really don't mind paying for the extra weight - it's really very inexpensive. I do understand about balancing the load. So I will take a slow breath, drink a cold soda or fruit juice (my wife won't let me drink beer) and hope for the best.

One unfortunate thing is that my tiny camera, dive lights, netbook computer, and dive computer all have batteries and so can't go into checked bags. That brings my carry-on to be too heavy. I can live with my checked bag arriving the next day but I really need my carry-on to come with me even if it had to fly in the baggage compartment. No way to prepare for the worst except to put everything essential in the carry-on and hope.

Yes, Divi Divi weighs carryon and No, Divi Divi does not weigh carryon. For my wife and I, they have done it both ways so, who knows? Sometimes your bags don't make it on your plane, most of the time they do. Again, who knows?

Oh dear. I just found out that they have a size limit as well as weight. Their website says that the carry-on can only be 10" x 10" x 14". That is absurdly small. I cut down to 2 normal size carry-on suitcases and now I'm wondering if I can even get them both from Bonaire to Aruba on my way home.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Kharon, I hardly think it is fair to blame Divi-Divi for your assumptions and lack of research. One look at their plane -- or the pictures of it -- and you'll see there is no overhead storage space.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    Kharon, I hardly think it is fair to blame Divi-Divi for your assumptions and lack of research. One look at their plane -- or the pictures of it -- and you'll see there is no overhead storage space.
    Horse pucky and bushwah. Where are these pictures of the interior. I've flown a number of planes that look on the outside like the one on their home page that had plenty of room for carry-on and reasonable weight limits. 10 x 10 x 14 is not reasonable. Not one word on thieir web page about the size of their planes or the draconian baggage restrictions except hidden away behind links. In other words "the fine print" where they tell you "Sorry, you're screwed" Should have read the entire user agreement". There should at least be an obvious notice to check the restrictions before booking because they are so very out of line with every other normal airline. At least a warning that they are flying microscopic planes. Expecting someone who has never flown with them to know that they are far outside the norm of air travel isn't reasonable. Not bringing it to a potential customers attention up front, on their home page borders on bait and switch.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You will be happy that you have chosen dividivi
    It's the most reliable company in the area.
    I'm happy that they are critical about weight restrictions. A too heavily loaded plane can run into trouble. (As history has shown near Bonaire, unfortunately)

It's actually very easy to see what the weigtlimitations are:
    just type flydivi.com and choose baggage restrictions. It's all on the home page

https://flydivi.com/Baggage_restrictions/CarryOnBaggage

Quote Originally Posted by smits View Post
    You will be happy that you have chosen dividivi
    It's the most reliable company in the area.
    I'm happy that they are critical about weight restrictions. A too heavily loaded plane can run into trouble. (As history has shown near Bonaire, unfortunately)

It's actually very easy to see what the weigtlimitations are:
    just type flydivi.com and choose baggage restrictions. It's all on the home page

https://flydivi.com/Baggage_restrictions/CarryOnBaggage
    I'm not arguing safety.I think I flew Divi (at least not Insel) in 2011 and 2013 and the limits were 20 kilo checked and 10 kilo carry-on (normal size) and a personal item. I had no reason to expect that the limits had changed so drastically. There should be a prominant warning on the main page telling a prospective customer to check the limits before booking since they are so Draconian.

They may be a fine airline BUT I've emailed 5 times - I have two normal size carry-on suitcases - 22" x 14" x 9" with a total of 25 kilo split fairly evenly. All I want to know is if I can be sure that one bag (at least) will be sure to fly with me in baggage or where ever. The other can come later that day, the next day or even the day after.

They will not give me a straight answer. I made this reservation a long time ago. Since I was probably the first to book on this flight I think I at least deserve a straight answer if not a priority for one bag. I can't wait till I get to the gate to find out that none of my bags will fly with me. I have asked and asked. Not getting an answer does not make me confident in the airline.