Thread: Sept 2018 Week 1

Default Sept 2018 Week 1

Got a new Cressi Evolution mask with +2.75 readers in the bottom, moved 2lbs from my weight belt to the upper part of my bcd, read up on underwater tips for my Oly TG4 and went to Bonaire for 2 weeks. Life is good! Best buoyancy Iíve ever had on first dive, I can read my gauges clearly and actually see the fish Iím shooting in the LCD. The low volume mask partically clears itself and I was really relieved after spending $$ it seals better than my last mask.

Spent first week at Buddy Dive boat diving and pier jumping. First time in studio on north side and it was perfect size for two us, well maintained and easy to keep cool.

Our last 3 trips have been at Buddy Dive and the 3 before that at Captain Dons, canít go wrong with either one. For those that struggle with this decision just try one and next time try the other because, you will be back.

It can be difficult on the boats to get the dive site you want. Havenít been to Rappel in last 4 trips, itís too rough or too far on smaller or slower boats, you get there a boat in already there, etc. A few sites like the one before Rappel are looking like rock piles while others amazing good. House reef is still very good and convenient. Looks like spike horn coral is being transplanted at many dive sites.

We bring food for breakfast, precooked bacon and Velveeta to make sandwiches for lunch with bread and tomatoes from Zhong Kong along with fruits, veggies, etc. Will stuff suitcases with protein bars, ramen noodles, etc wherever they will fit. First 3 or 4 nites we hit Zhong Kong restaurant for something with rice or noodles, egg rolls on the side, in takeout box because we always have leftovers even when splitting a meal. Zhong Kong has the coldest beer, any colder and it would have ice in it and that first one goes down real easy after making the trek over there.

Complaints at Buddy Dive would be only 3 beers to choose from and they are not cold at all, the locker rooms are quite cramped, assigned lockers now and very difficult to get upgraded.

Good things are what ever was left in the rinse tank area the day before was still there in the morning.

Huge baracuda getting teeth cleaned close to Buddy Dive, you can see the guide rope in the background.

P9200056.jpgP9200128.jpgP9200094.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the trip report! Enjoyed your pictures.

2nd week
    We hadnít rented a truck in the last 5 trips and were really missing the south side shore diving. Wanted to stay south of airport to be close but ended up at Carib Inn for pool and walking into town in evenings. We stayed there our very first dive vacation 11 years ago, took several courses with them, night, navigation, and drift diving, and was glad to see their house reef has recovered nicely.
    We snorkeled for about 6 years before taking up diving. Our first couple trips to Bonaire we werenít diving yet. Diving down to get pics I noticed how the colors really came out as I got closer and thought wouldnít that be great if you could just stay down there. Snap!
    The old decorative iron? fire coral chair is still out there but lying on its side now.
    We didnít do any boat dives at Carib Inn but they allow you to dive your air, heard some were 90 minutes.
    Saw a lot of fishing going on this trip, people driving around with fishing poles in their trucks. At Toris there was a huge net out all week and fish were being sold there on the side of the road. Got a video showing 1000s of fish in this net. Was told STINIPA allows it once a year? Local custom? A snorkeler at Salt Pier had a stringer going and Pam almost nearly got snagged by someone fishing off the pier, came out of Oil Slick and a guy was fishing, looking south from Carib Inn one evening a guy was casting from shore.
    First shore dive at Vista Blue relying on recognition of ďget outĒ point and compass reading I came up about halfway across the sand flats to look for the truck and small beach area. Next day while coming in a foot off the sand very close to shore, computer said 6 ft, a small boat passed directly over me. I could hear it coming and hugged the sand, got a good look at the bottom of it, small boat, small motor, white V? hull. When we were leaving we saw the boat, big enough for a couple people, looked like the driver was picking up kite surfing people that maybe got into trouble too close to shore.
    Maybe itís because I can see now but I started noticing dark mold spots on fish. First was spotfin butterfly that I didnít take pic of because of it, saw many parrotfish with it also.
    Really enjoyed the south side diving, first time to dive salt pier and did it about 4 times, it was a popular location. Free swimming green morays, lot of tarpon, turtles in the shallows and only place Pam found an octopus. Turg
    We didnít dive a lot of different sites, we started with the ones that looked easy and enjoyed them so much we tended to repeat them. Vista Blue, the Rock, Invisivles, Salt Pier, Bachelor Beach and up north Oil Slick and Ol Blue.
    Didnít see the Manta but have only seen him twice anyway, no sharks but dms said they had been seeing reef shark? on Klein. Spotted eagle ray many times, southeren rays. Huge, huge barracuda at Buddy Dive house reef that Iím sure is the same one we saw on previous trip in same area. He was having his teeth cleaned just south of the first rope marker by a brain coral that sits all by itself. A lot of porcupines everywhere, stopped and counted six in one area. Love joining the blue tang gang and getting video or stills when they come by on their feeding frenzies with several other type fish mixed in with them.
    Didnít have anyone to point out seahorse or frogfish, but am able to find scorpion fish on my own now that I can see, I recognize the ends of their pec fins, saw two next to each other once. Lots of queens, French, rock beauties, little trunk fish, couple big midnite parrots and a few odd things I hadnít seen before.
    Another great trip to Bonaire looking forward to next year maybe spend 2 weeks just on the south side.

Thanks for the update of your report.
    Glad you enjoyed the trip.