Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report October 2018

Default Trip Report October 2018

I have posted the first week of our October 2018 Bonaire trip on my travel blog. The second week will go up soon. I hope you enjoy it!

https://kimfair.wordpress.com/

Very good Photos in there Kim, and a nice read of your daily reports. Thanks, looking forward to Part 2

Very nice pictures and report.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I enjoyed reading your report. Nice pictures too!!

Thanks, everyone! The next week will be posted in a week or three. I think some of the pictures in week 2 far surpass those in week one.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

what great pics and to get so close on snorkeling to these great creatures of the sea is amazing! I was not aware that snorkeling in Lac Bay was allowed and wondering if others have done this and any recommendations for a point of entry. We have gone EC diving before and know the area where they depart, but from reading your report it appears there is another road to access the area that I have not yet traveled....but that is about to change when we head down in January. Our 6-year old grandson came down last year and loved Bonaire so much his return trip is in February. Love the operators of the Woodwind and cannot wait to get part II of the trip report. Chicken Man is a staple on Bonaire along with other food vendors--every time we try to get a lionfish burger they are sold out but with staying 2-months this year hope to get that "to do" checked off the list. Cornhusker

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Kimfair View Post
    Thanks, everyone! The next week will be posted in a week or three. I think some of the pictures in week 2 far surpass those in week one.
    Naw, don't post it.

Every time you post one of these I spend the entire day studying your photos, then wind up reading your blog (and you can quit with the Hawaiian coconut cream pie, too).

Just stop. I can't afford to spend another day.

Save me from myself, please.
    Brad Ford

Your photos are womderful and your narration delightful.

As for Part 2- type, damnit man, type!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    I was not aware that snorkeling in Lac Bay was allowed and wondering if others have done this and any recommendations for a point of entry.
    Snorkeling in Lac Bay is one of our favourite locations. We have snorkeled there on our last two trips to Bonaire and find that you see some of the best coral at any snorkel location as well as the usual abundance of fish. You are also inches above the coral so everything is really up close and personal. It is neat to be snorkeling in the calm of the bay but see the waves crashing on the reef a relatively short distance away.

We walk out from beside Jibe City and sort of keep to the outside to avoid the wind surfers. It does take some time to get out to the coral as you are walking in waist high water for what seems like forever but my son has managed it as a 9 and 10 year old so no excuses. There is a platform halfway out that we usually stop at to put on our fins and mask. First time we did it we almost gave up as we were tired from the walk and did not see much underwater life but when we got closer to the middle of the bay it was a real wow moment, at least for us. I would highly recommend it.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

snorkeling Lac Bay..

We've done it a number of times, with my youngish children 11-12-13, like that.

It's a long way out, but if you go it is great snorkeling.

Remember sun protection, and put a couple bottles of water in your pockets. You're gonna be out there a long time.

Out close to the barrier there are sandy places you can stand up and rest (and let the kids hang on you to rest).

We've walked in from the windsurf place and from the fish hut. It was a long time ago, but seems like fish hut was closer - but it's a walk thru sea grass so probably shouldn't do that.

I saw the only shark I've seen on Bon snorkeling at Lac Bay.
    Brad Ford