Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bioluminescence inquiry

Default Bioluminescence inquiry

Good Day BT'ers-
    Helping out a friend of a friend and thought I gather some information here.

Has anyone experienced bioluminescence while diving on Bonaire? I have during a night dive a few years ago. Some small almost like worm type creatures floating in the water. About 30 fsw.

Is there an expert on the island I can turn to?

Much thanks,
    Neptune Nick

Hey Neptune,

Mrs DS and I have played with bioluminescence on night dives on Bonaire. Not sure what the creature/creatures was/were, but when we would wave our hands around in front of our faces we’d see flashes.

Or maybe I was just flashing back to the 60s...... Could go either way.....

I don’t know of any experts, but maybe STINAPA would have some leads.

Cheers,
    DS

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If:
    you can time your night dive to the Ostracods timing
    you can dive in a very dark place without other divers with lights
    you get away from the reef, about 30' or deeper
    and you turn off your lights

You just get one of the most awe-inspiring experiences in the deep. You might find youself "in the stars." Everywhere you look, flashing small blue lights in the blackness, thousands, even millions of them. The lights are everywhere, all around you, above and below you. You are floating in blackness populated by millions of tiny glowing stars.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The flashing lights from waving hands and the Ostracods are different phenomena and different critters. The former are mostly small dinoflaggelates (plankton) in the water, that are activated by toughing or even by the turbulence in the water. They are found globally in warm water. Ostracods are tiny crustaceans about the size of a tomato seed that rise though the water column squirting out small pulses of bioluminescent fluid, so they leave a trail of illuminated dots behind them. They start after the full moon and go for a couple of weeks, apparently only in the Caribbean.

Several of the dive shops on Bonaire will do an Ostracod Night Dive for you. We saw them most recently last Thursday evening, along with the dinoflaggelate flashing.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

so we are going to be on Bonaire for 2-months and is there a web site that gives info on Ostracod timing to help with planning a dive? Is it with full moon and 3rd Thursday of the month type of deal or something else? I would love to give this a try.......and of course will drag my wife with me and tell her to just trust me...................

Flower Mound Tx. ( 2 miles from DFW airport)

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    so we are going to be on Bonaire for 2-months and is there a web site that gives info on Ostracod timing to help with planning a dive? Is it with full moon and 3rd Thursday of the month type of deal or something else? I would love to give this a try.......and of course will drag my wife with me and tell her to just trust me...................

The third to fourth nite after a full moon seems to work best for Cindy and I. Just make it before the 9th or tenth night.

thnaks for the info--printing off to put in our file to start looking when full moon is scheduled on Bonaire.

Flower Mound Tx. ( 2 miles from DFW airport)

We will be there for Nov. and Dec. full moons , we make it every time we can. We have a key to the Sabadeco pier that has been in question in the news. If you would like you can contact us. The best spots are where there is vey little light from shorelines.

while I am asking questions, I recall something about the moon, tides and jelly fish timing also but have forgotten it...nothing new my wife would say! When we are on Bonaire sometimes we will run into some smaller jellies about the size of the thumb with a few black dots and normally only notice them when they are right in front of me! Any info on when timing of jellyfish on Bonaire would be appreciated as just like to know before we arrive. Not that I am counting but only 56 days until we arrive and this time we staying 59 days so countdown has started! Looking to see if we can someplace for 2-months as looking to rent a place in 2020 for 3-months as cheaper overall than Phoenix as golfing is just nuts priced per day! Cornhusker