Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for guidance as Canadians coming to Bonaire

Dear Dez & Remi:

Here's my two bits perhaps it may help. First banking... Get a letter of introduction from your current bank manager. Have your passport and also any kind of proof of income such as your pension plan letter or others this will be necessary to open an account. My husband provided income tax returns for two years (main page) from Revenue Canada. Have a letter of introduction from a local resident of Bonaire that does business with the bank you choose.

Application for residency. Go to the Immigration office and get the forms one for you and one for hubby from them and have them explain all of the documents they will require. The tricky part for Canadians ( even if we are the ones who help liberate Holland in WWII) is to get the safety clearance certificate from the Dutch Embassy in Canada. A police clearance certificate will NOT do. So be prepared for a frustrating quest. Hope these help.

Welcome to sunny Bonaire! L.S.

Thanks for all the great insight and tips everyone! Its definitely been a big help. We have been in contact with a local bank who emailed us forms to fill out along with a (longish) list of other documents they require from us BEFORE they will give us an appointment to come in person for the final steps of opening an account. Everything has been sent back to them, so now we wait to hear about an appointment at the bank. In the mean time, I'm contacting the Dutch Embassy (thank you for that one L.S.!) because we figured a criminal record check from the RCMP would do it as they are National and not Provincial like the local police.

Slowly but surely its coming together...what's the word? Poco Poco lol

Dez and Remi

Daz & Remi -

A criminal background check from the RCMP should work, and it is probably required. That document will need to be apostiled or legalized BY THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT. For US citizens they require an FBI (national) background check, and then that report needs to be apostiled by the US State department.

Just so you know.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Okay, we will need to get it notarized instead? I've just read this from the Canadian Gov site: "Canada is not a member of the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. This convention replaced legalization, in member states, as the default procedure with a system of apostille. Its mechanisms are not applicable to Canada."

I dont know the answer to that. I would ask Agnes, or whoever is helping with your application, what you need to do to get it legalized. I would think its the same process as you did with marriage certificates, birth certificate, etc. I would ask someone who knows to be sure.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiverChris View Post
    What about using RBC for your banking in Canada and the Carribean. Yes they are different entities but you maybe able to get everything done in Canada before arriving in Bonaire.
    Good luck,
    Chris
    My wife and I looked at using RBC since they are in both Canada and on Bonaire. We learned that they might both be RBC but they operate as two entirly different companies. The same goes for RBC in the US, all three operate as seperate companies and do not have direct ties to each other. Our local RBC here in Canada didn't realise that the US and Carribean are two seperate companies until we told them. We had set up a US account, went to Bonaire and found out that we could not access our US accounts.

Default You need guidance from the Dutch Embassy

Quote Originally Posted by bonairehomes View Post
    I dont know the answer to that. I would ask Agnes, or whoever is helping with your application, what you need to do to get it legalized. I would think its the same process as you did with marriage certificates, birth certificate, etc. I would ask someone who knows to be sure.

I tried to submit my residency application without my "security voucher" documentation being cleared by the Dutch Embassy... It was rejected. You do need to do this and really no one seems to know about it except Immigration Officers on Bonaire.

If I were you,I would ask them to send a photocopy of such document with the proper stamp or whatever it is the Bonaire Immigration wants and then contact the Dutch Embassy in Canada. Let me know how you make out next year I am applying again! L.S.