Hey all! I just thought I would go ahead and introduce myself here since this is the sub-forum I will be reading most often. Due to some health issues (nothing crazy, just unfortunate), my fiance and I have decided that we aren't going to wait until we are older to live where we really want to. Over the next few years we are going to be working toward the life we want on Bonaire. It's not something we are rushing into, so we are just going to take our time getting all of our ducks in a row. I'm looking forward to reading through all of the threads and meeting some of you.

I have a few basic questions:

1) If one were to learn a second language that is spoken on the island, which one would you recommend? After our last trip to Bonaire, I started learning Dutch through a variety of sources, but am questioning whether I should instead be learning Papiamentu. It seems like neither is really necessary for someone who already speaks English, but I've enjoyed learning the Dutch, and it would be nice to understand some of the basic signage or have some fun conversations.

2) Through my research and driving around the island, I've found some communities that look really nice, but I don't know the specifics about each area. Are there any areas to avoid once we start looking for a house? Why did you choose the community you live in?