Thread: United Flight Cancellations on August 11

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default United Flight Cancellations on August 11

Heard that United cancelled its flights from Newark to Bonaire and back after long delays. Question: What happens to those passengers on the flight from Newark and the ones who were scheduled to leave Bonaire, given that there are not a lot of other options especially after such a long (over 6 hours)?

Answering my own question. United flew a flight today (Sunday) from Newark to Bonaire. At least one passenger I know on the flight advised they were given short notice this morning of the new flight but they got to the airport in time. Flight was scheduled to depart Newark at 11:30 AM and finally departed at about 12:45. Should arrive on Bonaire at 5:42. I presume they will turn it around and send it back to Newark with those passengers United could not accommodate on their Sunday morning departure to Houston. The passenger I knew on the flight from Newark had to find their own hotel last night, and apparently there were not many available unless you were willing to pay big $ (at least $250).

I was on the the flight to Houston. 100% full. Before the Newark cancellation the Houston flight was a little more than half full as I check it to see if a better seat opened up. I overheard some people discussing "vouchers" with a ticket agent, so some sort of compensation already happened or was in process.
    Also, the island is half empty so easy to find a room, I guess. I hope the $250 room fee gets reimbursed.

Thanks KonaGecko for the info on what happened to the folks on Bonaire. Seems United did take care of them. The expensive hotel room was for a person flying to Bonaire and yes, hopefully United will reimburse.

My wife and I were on the cancelled flight. The arriving flight was cancelled, cancelling ours. We, after standing in line at the airport for 2 1/2 hr, were given vouchers for overnight at the Mariott, local travel and food. We were told that UA would try to bring a plane in for us and were told to be ready for a 7:30 AM departure from the hotel. That was eliminated that evening. The next morning, we were told to be ready for a 3 PM departure and headed to the airport at around noon. We checked in with no trouble, had lunch at the restaurant at the airport, then went through security. It was rather nice with only 1 plane load of people to be processed.

Then the hurry up and wait began. The 3 PM departure was delayed to 5 PM, then to 6 PM and I think we left around 6 :30. As we were about to board (and after families with kids, etc. and Group 1 had already boarded), the PA system announced, "And, oh yes, please be aware that there is no food remaining on the airplane, so if you wish something to eat, please purchase it before leaving the terminal building." Fat lot that helped.

We arrived at Newark Terminal B around 10:30-11 PM. There was nobody present to assist us. We were supposed to get vouchers for overnighting in Newark, but nobody on Bonaire knew where to go or from whom to get them. Nor was the flight-to-flight bag transfer station open (we were supposed to go on to Boston but had missed the last such flight). Eventually, we found a custodian who suggested going to United's main location at Newark, Terminal C. We did that via the air train and asked at the lost luggage desk what to do, there being no other choice to be seen. Well, they actually were very helpful and printed vouchers and gave us new reservations to Boston at 9:45 AM Monday.

Unfortunately, Monday was a disaster. 9:45 came and went as did the next opportunity a 12:30 (plane arrived, disgorged its occupants and then our flight was cancelled). We were put on another at 3:30, but from a different part of the terminal. Then that was cancelled. Change gates again. Finally, at about 4:30PM we were placed on another flight to Boston due to leave at 5 PM, but don't worry, you won't miss it because its running way late, too. So we made another terminal change (back to B) where we waited and waited, then the PA said, "There's a plane coming for you, all we have to do is find a crew." A while later, it said, "The plane is here and we have most of a crew, but we still need a first officer." A little while later, "Well, we have a first officer, but will be delayed because all flights to Boston are using instrument landings, requiring much larger spacing between aircraft."

But, we did leave at around 6:30PM (United notified us at 6:15, after we had already boarded, that our flight departure would be delayed). Thanks for keeping us up to date, United. Stayed overnight in Boston at a daughter's house and leisurely home the next day. I'm afraid the problems going through Newark are just getting worse and worse. Weather and mechanical issues seem to be vying for the title as to which is worst.
    Last edited by larry; 08-19-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks Larry. Wow what an experience. Glad it all eventually worked out but what a stressful experience it had to be. Our friends on the Newark-to-Bonaire flight had a similar experience and a similar negative reactions/opinions and no free hotel for their delayed flight. With 1,5 million miles flown on United while I worked and since, I am sort of trapped by golden handcuffs (lifetime Premier Gold status) to using them because my wife and I each automatically get economy plus seating and possible upgrades to Business Class, plus two checked bags each at up to 70 pounds each for free, plus access to United's club when travelling internationally, plus priority boarding check-in, boarding and baggage handling. Given that, plus Newark is sort of convenient for us (we can either fly there or drive there), we tend to fly them going to/from Bonaire. Oh well, ever since we started flying to Bonaire, we have always said that getting to Bonaire was a challenge, but well worth it once you were there. Hopefully your stay on Bonaire more than made up for the issues of getting home.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

@Larry
    What a horrible experience!!
    You aer so powerless, making you feel even more angry/sad