Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time visitors to Bonaire - need some advice

Default First time visitors to Bonaire - need some advice

Good morning, everyone.

My wife and I are planning a week trip to Bonaire sometime in November. We're not exactly sure which way is best to plan our vacation. In the past when we've stayed at other resorts in other countries (Cuba, Antigua, etc.) we've always gone all-inclusive. But we've come to realize that going that route was a waste of money because we both do not drink alcohol.

So with that said, we're probably going not going to do that this time around. So I'd like some suggestions as to what you think is best? We've both avid snorkelers, which is why we like the thought of going to Bonaire. We haven't tried scuba diving yet, but it is on our bucket list.

I did a quick check on various sites, and I found one place called Eden Beach Resort that includes accommodations and air for around $1,200.00 CAD per person. Is that a good price? Or am I better off to book my own flights separately and go with an AirBnB rental instead?

Thank you!

Good Mornin... We have stayed at the Divi Flamingo now for 19 years and love it. We stay in the rooms by the dive shop which have a great view and a complete kitchen if you want to use. And also a BBQ about 50dt from our room. YOU WILL LOVE BONAIRE...

We also stay at the Divi Flamingo. They have a food plan (not sure if it includes alcohol or not), but we always get a room with a kitchen, buy groceries for breakfast and lunch, and go out for dinner.The snorkeling is fantastic on Bonaire. We only snorkel. Make sure to book a trip on the Woodwind with Dee. They'll take you out to Klein Bonaire (a small island off the west coast) where there are spectacular corals, sealife, and almost always, sea turtles. We always book our own flight, and book the room separately. What's also nice is that the water surrounding Bonaire is a national landmark, so while you can't use the beach chairs at Eden beach if you don't stay there, they can't stop you from crossing their property to get in the water. If you don't stay at Eden Beach, make sure you snorkel there, as there are some great things to see there! Enjoy Bonaire!

Hi,
    I am not sure how long you are planning to stay but based on my search of flights for November from Canada, $1200 each seems like a good price for a package. How much is it if you book the flights separately? To give you an idea we did a package with Sunwing from Toronto, staying January 7th to 14th 2018 for 2 adults and one 10 year old at Divi Flamingo and it cost us C$2785, this would be considered high season. We only snorkel as well but that will likely change when my son gets older. We have been to Bonaire three times and love the convenience and quality of snorkeling in Bonaire.

I have not stayed at Eden Beach so I cannot comment on that resort but we have stayed at Port Bonaire, Blachi Koko and Divi Flamingo and for me Blachi Koko was the best but the package price to stay at Divi was hard to beat. We stayed in a similar room as to what BobT described and it was very convenient but did show some wear and tear. I think the snorkeling is probably better at the Eden Beach area as there is very little coral in front of Divi but in saying that we still saw turtles, eagle rays, eels, squid, barracuda and tons of other fish at Divi. We also did a night snorkel and had some tarpon follow us around and had some box jelly fish appear from nowhere, scared the you know what out of me.

We love the restaurants on Bonaire and eat out almost every night which is another reason why I would prefer to stay in the Divi Flamingo area as it is a 5 minute walk to some of the best restaurants. I think Eden Beach is a bit far to walk but then there are other restaurants in that area which get good reviews.

If you are not going to dive and you get a car rental then I would suggest Bonaire Rent a Car as they seem to have good prices and it includes CDW. Normally we get the Group 5 Daihatsu which allows you to go into the National Park and our credit card insurance covers us more comprehensively than the included CDW. If you get a truck the credit card normally doesn't cover the insurance. The Daihatsu is a bit beaten up, no a/c, no radio but I never have to worry that there might be a minor scratch or dent when returning it and the owners are great.

All in all I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose however I would check the reviews on here and other sites to make sure you don't end up somewhere that doesn't fit your needs.

That price seems crazy good for Canada to Bonaire. Who are the flights with? From where?

Excellent. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    That price seems crazy good for Canada to Bonaire. Who are the flights with? From where?
    Hi Tom - I found the price on a website named cheapcaribbean.com. However, I also checked Expedia and Divi is only $1,400.00 per person. I compared that to the flight alone, and it's around the same price, so basically you're paying for the flight and getting the stay for free.

So a lot of good comments for Divi. I'll definitely check it out. We're looking to go Nov 3 - 10. I assume the location would mean there's no rainy season?

The price you were quoted sounds great and Eden Beach is a nice place. Plus you have Wanna Dive shop right there.
    You are going to love Bonaire...

the rainy season is november-december- but on Bonaire it is usually a heavy rain for about 10 minutes in the morning then blue skies.

Default You're welcome to stay at Aqua View. We currently have a special for $89 per night.

Quote Originally Posted by petri hausmann View Post
    the rainy season is november-december- but on Bonaire it is usually a heavy rain for about 10 minutes in the morning then blue skies.
    I can offer you a week in November for **Edit due to Violation of TOS C1 & D1 **, but you'll have to arrange your own airfare. We have a great snorkeling spot and a patio and balcony with ocean views. You can listen to the ocean while preparing your dinner in a nice kitchen. https://tropicofdestiny.com/
    Last edited by ModRoy; 08-10-2018 at 01:27 AM. Reason: See TOS C & D ......NO PRICES