Thread: SIM Cards

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default SIM Cards

My iPhone has finally reached the age where I can unlock it. Was thinking of doing so and then buying a SIM card while on Bonaire to use for when we are there as a local phone.

Does anyone know how expensive the SIM cards are with the different carriers? Thank you.

Mark

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

They are about $10 as I remember. Then you need a calling plan.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

@Mark,
    If you travel to places other than Bonaire I would recommend Know Roaming Sim; if used it in the US, Europe and Caribbean without issue.

Thank you Mel and Chris. Good info. "Chatted" with Digicel yesterday and they charge $20 for the SIM card and as Mel said, you then pick a plan. Will look into Know Roaming Sim.

M

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

a few years ago we bought a phone on Bonaire @ Digicel and each year we go back in and they put in a new sim card and pay them for minutes---believe we spend about $50 and it gives us all the calling we need for 2-months to make reservations and check on various details with vendors. Heck, the weekly run bill for the house is more than my phone for 2-months so something must be out of balance! 167 days till play time but who is counting.....we are.

The owners of the condo we rent provides a Chippie-based cell phone and they load it up with a generous amount of time before we arrive. Recently they replaced their old-style (basic) cell phone with a smart phone. They also confirmed that this phone has Bluetooth capability which is something I was looking for. However, I am not certain that the app I need to use will work or how this combination will work, hence I was exploring (and preparing for) using my AT&T iPhone 6s with a Chippie or Digicel SIM card. I successfully had that iPhone unlocked yesterday by the carrier and can now swap out SIM cards anywhere/anytime I want.

In my case, I recently purchased a medical emergency alert button ("I have fallen and can;t get up") that works with smart phones via an app and can dial and send text messages to up to three pre-programmed numbers of your choosing. All US-based emergency alert systems whether mobile ("works anywhere you go") or landline based ONLY work in the U.S (and maybe Canada); they will not work on Bonaire so hence are useless when travelling. The device I purchased (and which only cost $9) works only with your mobile phone. I tested it out at home and when the emergency button is pressed it sequentially dials the numbers you programmed, gives you voice access via your cell phone speaker to the person it dialed, and sends a message that you had previously created telling them whatever you want. It also sends information on location based on GPS from wherever you trigger it I would prefer not to have to use my normal carrier if I needed to use the device on Bonaire, hence I was seeking advice on the local carriers. Before I actually buy the Chippie or Digicel SIM card, I will try it out on my owner's smart-phone as he gave me permission to install the app. The big advantage of using my own phone however is I know exactly how it works whereas I struggle to remember what to do with the Android-type phone they have.

Thanks again everyone.
    M