Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP with a neighbor

Default HELP with a neighbor

Hey Everyone,
    Our neighbor to the rear of our property say That tree is very bad because the roots are damage the walls. The neighbors ask if you can cut down the tree because that tree can damage the structure of the houses. The neighbors says that he has a septic and that if the roots of that tree damage the septic the cost of the fix it will be in our name. He also says that the leaves of the tree fall on top of the ceiling of the house and cause that the water become stagnant. I have attached a picture of the tree. From what I can find the septic has to be 1.5 meters from the property line. As you can see in the picture there isn't 1.5 between our wall and his house. We don't know what to do. The tree provides great privacy and we love all the birds that come and visit because of the tree. Our gardener says we can cut down the tree and put oleanders in place. We want to be good neighbors and not cause problems but We also don't want to be taken advantage of.
    Any advice is welcomed
    Thanks
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave B

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

It's a Neem tree, we have several of them. They tend to pop up and spread from runners, not seeds, and can become a nuisance. We haven't seen any affected walls or septic tanks, but I'm told it least one nursery is steering folks away from them because of the spreading tendency. Anyone else have more on this?

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I found something that may be of interest at https://www.quora.com/Is-neem-plant-...grow-near-home. From that link...

Is neem plant harmful to grow near home?

Yes.

Trees with extensive root systems like the neem (Azadirachta indica) need substantial soil space. Therefore, it is not feasible to grow such large trees in tiny soil spaces.

So, in the case of big trees like the neem which needs about 10 feet of soil surface between it and the building, construction of an underground concrete or stone barrier may be taken up, to prevent sprawling roots from reaching into the building’s foundation.

And then of course, remember to plant the tree saplings deep enough. If you are going to plant the tree sapling at the surface depth, the growing tree’s roots have a higher chance of spreading around and reaching the foundations. “If you plant the tree sapling at the prescribed depth of three feet, the growing tree’s roots tend to grow deep into the soil and stay clear of the building’s foundation”. One should plant the sapling after digging a pit about 2.5-3 feet deep.

Thank you. Sounds like we are going have to take it down. We were advised to replace it with oleanders to help replace the neem tree. Someone said that the orleanders have to be mature otherwise it is going to take years to take up the space.
    Dave B

I am no expert here, but I am not sure how the Neemís root system reacts to the tree being cut down. We had a row of Poplar Trees on our home lot back in Canada, they were getting really big and crowding out other nicer tree and plants. I just went out with a chainsaw and in a few hours all 4 were down. Its turns out the root system went into over-drive and the roots then found my main sewer line and clogged it up big time. I was told I should have killed tree first by drilling fairly large holes into the trunk and putting in some form of killing agent. It could be the Neem does not react the same way? Good luck with a replacement.
    S&E Tanton

Thanks for being a considerate neighbor and researching this topic. While we did not raise the initial concern, based on the photo posted, our property also adjoins yours to the rear. Seems you have two Neem trees and a similarly root-invasive Ficus (https://homes.nine.com.au/2015/10/22...-plant-a-ficus) along your back wall in close proximity to the neighbor's septic tank, and to our pool. The past owner of your property had a history of neglecting their maintenance and allowing them to overgrow the wall, which we were advised about by the prior owners of our house, who routinely had his landscapers cut them back, leaving the trimmings in your yard. We had experienced same non-response with prior owner, and took similar approach until you identified yourself as the new owner and requested otherwise a few months back. Now that there is again substantial growth over the wall, we greatly appreciate your proactive efforts to address the situation constructively, and also welcome replacement landscaping that provides privacy and bird habitat.

We sent you a Private Message
    Dave B

I will not be popular on this thread. I think the tree has priority. Is the wall damaged , can it not be worked with? It is not your fault his septic is too close . The winds are strong and will blow debris around, something we all have to live with. I think a large tree has great value in Bonaire considering the the need for shade and bird habitat. I would hope everyone tries to work with living with these difficulties instead of the simple solution of cutting it down. Takes a longtime to grow in Bonaire ....

Quote Originally Posted by dny810 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Our neighbor to the rear of our property say That tree is very bad because the roots are damage the walls. The neighbors ask if you can cut down the tree because that tree can damage the structure of the houses. The neighbors says that he has a septic and that if the roots of that tree damage the septic the cost of the fix it will be in our name. He also says that the leaves of the tree fall on top of the ceiling of the house and cause that the water become stagnant. I have attached a picture of the tree. From what I can find the septic has to be 1.5 meters from the property line. As you can see in the picture there isn't 1.5 between our wall and his house. We don't know what to do. The tree provides great privacy and we love all the birds that come and visit because of the tree. Our gardener says we can cut down the tree and put oleanders in place. We want to be good neighbors and not cause problems but We also don't want to be taken advantage of.
    Any advice is welcomed
    Thanks
    Dave

Ok so our gardener is recommending taking down that tree and replacing with a couple of karawara trees and oleanders. What do you guys think about that?
    Dave B

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

This is a link to a company I often use for hiking on Curacao:

http://www.caribbeanfootprint.com/20...ossen/?lang=nl

They are positive about the karawaratree.
    Please use a webbased translator to be able to read
    leanders