Thread: Moving Adventures

Default Moving Adventures

Hi Folks,

A general update on our move into our new place on Bonaire.

We arrived just over a week ago. The flight down from Calgary was good, we can do it in one day, and just one connection in Houston on UA. That is great for our ‘luggage’ as we dropped it off in Calgary and it all showed up in Bonaire, including a complete new Windsurfing Rig. We spent the first night at the Marriott and the SUV pick-up at PB Rentals at the airport went fine, just one person inline in front of us. We moved into our new digs on late Sunday morning, the real estate agent met us and handed us the keys and gave us a quick tour, as we had last seen the place back in January.

We had a Bank meeting on Tue AM at MCB, and that went well, even with my better half leaving her Passport at our new home in the morning. We should have the account open in just about 2 weeks, and get our Bank Cards in another2 weeks. We did the WEB and TELBO name switch-overs and are meeting with the security company tomorrow. We are in the process of setting up an insurance meeting to be sure we are covered properly.

We have become very good customers of a few shops in town buying lots of small stuff, and some not so small stuff. We are big BBQ fans and must have both Charcoal and Propane style outdoor cooking units. The Caribbean Bakery/Restaurant Supply company was able to supply and deliver a very nice Large Big Green Egg. All 165 Lbs of it had to be taken down two sets of stairs, we gave the delivery crew a good tip. Kooymans sells some nice stainless Webber Propane grills, but access to the actual Propane took a few days, and some hunting. I was able to get a full bottle at the Curoil station in the Mentor area today, but I then needed to get an old style regulator to fit the old style fittings on the Curoil bottle. That I found at the Bonaire Marine Store, our sailboat uses the old style and we thought a Marine Shop would be a good place to look. We were able to source some local natural ‘lump charcoal’ (the only type we like to use) at one of the local restaraunts that uses it, a big shout out to the Beach Bar at Jibe City. Our new Vespa 300 GTS is still on a boat somewhere between Italy and here, but the fine folks at Scooters Bonaire have given us a free of charge loaner until our’s arrives.

Our new detached Garage addition should start in about 2 weeks, the plans are in the Government Offices, and the builder is ready to go.

So for some ten days we are doing not so bad,...........IMHO.

Cheers,
    Steve & Elaine
    S&E Tanton

Julia is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Sounds like a hectic few days. Good luck in your new place.

👍✅😎

Congratulations on your big move. My lovely bride and I will be doing the same in about 18 months if all goes well well. Bonaire is such a great place!

My wife and I are heading down there in a couple of weeks to start looking at what all is required to move there. We will be back again for February to continue the processes and look for a place.
    Anything we should know or think about when moving from canada to Bonaire? Also how long did it take you to get residecy status?

Canuck52 -

FYI- Due to the repairs to the south pier, there is a serious shortage of sand and gravel so starting construction in two weeks is probably optimistic. Also, it can take from one moth to three months for you to recieve a building permit from DROB. Since it is only a garage it may go a little faster. I suggest weekly follow up with DROB to make sure your permit is moving along. Good luck with things. The first month or two you will be very busy, than things get better.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Clangsner -

Please go to the Residency thread and review it for how long it take and what to do. I also suggest using someone to assist you with your first residency application. The people charge a small fee, but it is well worth it. Either Agnes Joosten or Carlo Abdul can help with your residency application. Feel free to PM with any questions.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com