Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP with a neighbor

I would steer clear of Oleander, it's a very poisonous and can cause coma and death. Breathing the sawdust while cutting can cause a heart attack. Experts at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center state: "Nerium oleander is one of the most poisonous plants known, with all parts of the plant being toxic. Ingestion of just one leaf can cause heart attack and death." It should't be composted, and when burned, it releases poisons that can affect any living creature breathing the fumes.

Also, I'm told the Neem tree is not a native tree to Bonaire and is considered invasive to the local habitat. The way some experts look at it, if you cut the neem tree, you're preventing the spread of the invasive species and helping to the natural habitat survive. At least that's what I've been told by thoughtful and knowledgeable local people. So I wouldn't feel so bad about cutting a tree when it's presence threatens the native ecosystem.

wishing4wind is correct. The Neem tree is therefore illegal on Bonaire. Check the STINAPA web site for the nature regulation prohibiting it. Unfortunately that law is not enforced, but this tree will destroy garden walls, septic tank walls, building foundations, and paved roads. Hope you can keep it off your property, and by all means replace it with native trees. Good luck!
    Tish