Thread: Delta to Bonaire

Default Delta to Bonaire

For any number of years, we've flown into Bonaire via Atlanta. It was the greatest connections we've ever had, leaving our home at 6 am on the coast of NC, arriving in time for breakfast in Atlanta, leaving Atlanta and arriving Bonaire before 2 pm.
    The return trip had us leaving Bonaire about 4, with a short layover in Atlanta, and arriving home in NC before 11 pm.
    Perfect because we could dive on Friday, until noon, the day before leaving...pretty much an extra day of diving for us.
    Now, in trying to book Delta...at anything even "close" to a reasonable price (less than a grand, but not much), the "trip down" is still great; the departure from Bonaire is the same as always...but they won't put us on the 1-hour connecting flight from Atlanta, forcing us to overnight, leaving Sunday morning, and arriving home before noon.
    It's not because the Atlanta-to-our-home flight doesn't exist...it does. Delta will put us on that flight...but, it almost doubles the roundtrip price. Per person.
    What is Delta thinking?

Look close, is the late night plane nearly full making you book first class for the final leg?

We have be taking Delta through Atlanta for several years. Its a perfect schedule from Charlotte as well.

We have also been going through on Atlanta to Bon for quite few years now.....get on Bon in time to do orientation and even dive the afternoon/early evening day of arrival....as mentioned, essentially an extra day of diving due to the afternoon delta departure from Bon the following Saturday....but, now, Delta has us overnighting both ways in Atlanta....United has us there on the same day (Saturday) and returned on the same day the following Sunday..... price for United for our week in September today is $775...on Delta its over $1000...we would get an extra day of diving due to the Sunday return and have no overnights in Atlanta....frankly, I rather spend the 2 overnight's money for Atlanta on the extra night on Bonaire....for the first time seriously considering dumping Delta for the Bon routes....

The vagaries of airline pricing still escape me. That being said there appears to be a lot more variation this year than in the past. We also like the convenience of the Delta connection through Atlanta. However, almost all the least expensive flights require an overnight on the way back. My assumption is that the early morning flights from Atlanta back home are relatively empty compared to the ones on weekend afternoons. We did manage to find one week where we could get a somewhat reasonable price and the connections we want. Luckily we had the flexibility to pick that week. We couldn't get seats together on the ATL-BON and BON-ATL flights but we'll be spending the whole week together so that doesn't matter so much. Having said that, the last time the online seat selector wouldn't let us sit together, there ended up being something like 20 empty seats on the plane that didn't show up as available. Maybe some unfortunate souls didn't make their connections. Go figure. the last thing I would say is that if you are trying to get through Atlanta in an hour, on a weekend, from international to a domestic flight, that is pretty fast. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. If you have Global Entry, I believe it is probably doable, but airlines seem to be less willing these days to let you book tight connections if they might end up having to put you up if it doesn't work out.