Thread: Appliances

Default Appliances

Hello , I need some appliances . I have heard that the american appliances are a bit different from the european. Something about voltage?
    Does that mean I need to order from the Netherlands ?
    Thank you , Anne

The main difference in the electrical power is in the frequency. The US/Canada uses 60 Hertz and Bonaire uses 50 Hertz, as does Europe. Bonaire does have both 220 and 110 volt systems, but not all houses, at least IIRC, have the 110 Volt plugs installed. There are appliance shops on Bonaire, so you should be able to get what you need locally. If it is something special they might have to bring it in for you.
    S&E Tanton

Thank you for the info , I will check out OMNI and Multimart and maybe Bondigro when I get back ....I guess the difference between 60 and 50 Herzt can be a problem.

Anything you plug in needs to be rated for 50Hz (Hertz) in Bonaire. A lot of our modern smaller electronic based devices are designed to work on both 50Hz and 60Hz and at both 120VAC and 240VAC. They all have, or should have, labels saying that. For example the charging module for your Mobile Phone is very likely rated that way. Once you start getting bigger, from small appliances like Blenders, Coffee Pots, and Toaster etc up to large appliances like Stoves/Ovens, Fridges, and Washers/Dryers they pretty much are designed and built for just one Voltage and one Frequency. Again they all should all be labeled with what they require, but I am sure the sales folks in Bonaire will keep us well informed. We too will be looking for some of the bigger appliances as we will be doing some Kitchen and Laundry Room upgrades on our new place. So we might just run into each other at one of the appliances stores on Bonaire. City Shop also carries appliances.

Cheers
    Steve
    S&E Tanton

Steve , Thanks for the explanation. Is that why most things have inverters?
    I will check out City also ,

thanks again, see you around one of these days

Techically an Inverter changes DC to AC. You can get voltage Converters that change the voltage only, not the frequency. They used to be more common than there are these days as the 50/60 Hz and 110/220 VAC universal power adaptors are very common. However, the wife has ‘blown-up’ a couple of hair dryers over the years.

We are down tomorrow PM for 6 weeks.
    S&E Tanton

Enjoy your 6 weeks , I am not sure whenI am back , might be July or Sept. Just getting busy here at work . Thank you for the input !