Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wowsa...What's going on with flights?

ALM from Atlanta to Bonaire nonstop. We did either that or Miami-Bonaire depending on which was cheaper.

Upstate/Central NY Fingerlakes region near Syracuse, NY

We just returned from flying Delta from Syracuse to Atlanta to Bonaire and back, it was flawless and their communication and updates via there phone app was priceless. Also, using the Mobile Passport App on my phone saved a bunch of time circumnavigating huge lines in customs as well as being TSA Prechecked in regards to security. We found ourselves relaxed and with a lot of free time at the gates. We are going to price Sunwing out of Toronto as a comparison next year, depending on the strength of the dollar.
    "Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

We are coming down this Saturday. We can do Calgary to Bonaire on UA in one day, with just one stop in Houston. Going back home, which we do in mid June, is also done in one day with UA, and again with just a single stop in Houston. That is not too bad for such a distance.
    S&E Tanton

Quote Originally Posted by 1bajapilot View Post
    We just returned from flying Delta from Syracuse to Atlanta to Bonaire and back, it was flawless and their communication and updates via there phone app was priceless. Also, using the Mobile Passport App on my phone saved a bunch of time circumnavigating huge lines in customs as well as being TSA Prechecked in regards to security. We found ourselves relaxed and with a lot of free time at the gates. We are going to price Sunwing out of Toronto as a comparison next year, depending on the strength of the dollar.
    Might want to avoid sunwing if you value this easygoing stress free experience...

Tom,
    Can you explain you're Sunning comment further?
    Thank you

They're having some pretty epic failures as far as delays etc lately. Leaving people stranded on the tarmac, losing luggage, and so on.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sunwing&tbm=nws

My take is SunWing is like a lot of low cost vacation oriented airlines. They keep their costs down in part by having fewer employees per aircraft, thus not as much help when the poo hits the fan. When thing go well everybody is happy because the airfare cost was lower than the mainline carriers. I think they are still a viable opition, they fly modern aircraft and the aircrew training would be up to a high standard. However, nothing is for free and some ‘operational’ risks are taken by the passengers. Having just said that the mainline folks can also do you a bad now and again. Out here in Calgary SunWing is not a real option, we have daily flights by UA, AA, and Delta direct to various major US destinations, so we gotta pay the higher fares and use the big boys/gals to get us to Bonaire.
    S&E Tanton

We took the Sunwing flight last January direct from Toronto to Bonaire and had a 1.5 hour delay due to the original crew getting stuck somewhere in the US as their flight could not make it to Toronto. This was when the whole northeast was frozen so their excuse seemed reasonable.

Given that I live 25 minutes from the airport, I would take a 1.5 hour delay every time given the alternative of having to overnight it somewhere or try to rush through the airport to make a quick connection. We have had a longer delay on one of our United flights from Newark and on another flight they managed to send one of our bags to San Francisco.

As for price I was able to get flight AND a week at Divi Flamingo for the same price it was going to cost me to fly through the US. So given I would need to add an overnight hotel, accommodation in Bonaire and a lot more travel time it was a no brainer for me. If you can drive to Toronto airport then I think it is worth it and given the CAD-USD exchange rate I would assume it must be enticing to cross the border and 'take your chances'. If you want to travel outside of the December to April timeframe then you are out of luck or lucky depending on what you think of Sunwing.

We have the same problem coming from Detroit. The only flight that gets us home the same day is Delta & we have to race like crazy people to go through customs & make the connection & since we travel with our dog, we need to walk her & there's no time. With United we have to spend the night in Newark & with AA we have to spend the night in Miami. Not to mention we come in Dec & leave in Jan & the ticket prices are OUTRAGEOUS!