Thread: Canes for in/out of water support?

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Canes for in/out of water support?

Perhaps it is the circles I spend time in, but I'm hearing more and more divers talking about the need for a "third leg," a cane of some sort to help stabilize them during shore entries and exits. They talk of folding devices they can carry with them and use only during the beginning and end of a shore dive.

I remember some negative pictorial signs at Buddy Dive, and vaguely remember some long-ago chatter on BT about this.

Is this OK with STINAPA? Or is such use undesirable and therefore done at one's own risk?
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I am getting a new knee in August and have already planned to have some form of support just in case for our January 2019 visit. I walk over/on something every time I enter but for some reason having some support just in case is going to more damage than my feet getting into the ocean to dive-------sorry just have a hard time with anyone from Stinapa creating a stink about this when they have more important things to do......like fixing the bottom step @ 1000 steps! Both of us are very careful when entering and exiting every dive site so all one needs to do apply some basic thought into the plan and respect the reef life. I see so much abuse by divers with massive camera gear that no way ever could a folding cane do the same. Sorry but if you see me in January with a cane stay away as I might use it.........danger danger warning warning Cornhusker

Do your PT and you should be fine in January. Just be careful as you already are. I dove at 4 months after my surgery and all was fine. 'Course, we are freedivers - so we have lots less equipment !!

Bea

I had total knee five years ago and had my dive buddy carry my tank while I was getting in! Just pick spots with easier entries or go down a ladder at the resorts.
    I did lots of water therapy on my knee before surgery number one to strengthen the knee and it helped me get dismissed from therapy after six weeks. Just had total hip a year ago and the second knee six months ago, but walking and biking just fine. We will see how diving goes April 21-29!!!
    Good luck on the surgery and rehab!

Well, interesting. No informational responses to my question, "Are canes OK?"
    And no response from STINAPA either.
    I'll give it a few more days.....

Canes are OK, according to STINAPA:
    ==================================

On 4/13/18, 13:36, XXX wrote:

Message Body:
    Are folding canes OK to help with shore entries and exits? They would be
    stowed away during the dive.

On April 16, 2018 10:17:15 AM EDT, STINAPA Bonaire <info@stinapa.org> wrote:

Yes thatıs ok, just donıt use them on the dive please, thanks!

Anouschka van de Ven
    Communications Coordinator
    STINAPA Bonaire
    Barcadera z/n
    Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
    T: +599 - 717 8444
    mail:communications@stinapa.org
    www.stinapa.org
    www.facebook.com/bonaire.stinapa