Thread: Declaring Hand Carry Items

Default Declaring Hand Carry Items

Hi Folks,

Are the procedures for declaring airline hand carry (luggage) items well defined? I want to bring down some smaller items that will fit in my suitcases. The value will be in the order of $1,000 USD. They are accesories for my Vespa, that will stay on the Island. I am happy to pay the reqiuired duties, just wondering how it all works at the airport upon arrival.

Thansk,
    Steve
    S&E Tanton

Have your invoices ready to show actual value and duty will be assessed (or not). I've seen invoices examined and waived. That being said, your bags are not examined and unless you volunteer the information you will not be asked if you have anything to declare. Bon Bini Na Boneiru!

Thanks mpement,

I know they do not seem to check, and being middled aged Canadians we certainly look like your average tourists, but we will be starting the process for Residency the next time we come down, we kinda want to keep our records pristine. I guess my fear is being randomly checked and having goods, such as new Scooter Parts found in my bags that would be hard to explain, as a ‘tourist’. I think I will just present the official invoices to the agent, if there is actually one at the exit door and see what happens, if they wave me throught then great, if I have to stop and pay some money then so be it.

Cheers,
    Steve
    S&E Tanton

Don't create an issue where there is none...In ten years I have never had my bags nor have I ever seen anyones bags inspected.

Thanks for your input rossell. I guess I am coming from a place that you do get checked now and again, but I gotta admit even in Canada I have only been checked a very few times in my life.

Cheers
    Steve
    S&E Tanton

I agree, just carry it all through and have your receipts handy if anyone asks. You will have lots of opportunities to pay the 8% import tax when you have all the stuff you can't carry in shipped. The good news is that most US companies will refund sales tax paid in the US when you prove you shipped everything to Bonaire. We just got a check from Crate & Barrel for the sales tax we paid for the dining set we bought in NJ, that they shipped for free to Miami and we sent via AmCar in Miami to Rocargo in Bonaire. Having a home here involves a lot of shopping abroad. The few little things you carry here are not an issue.

Thanks Chris, what we will be hand carring will actually be smaller than I had first thought.
    S&E Tanton