Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Bank on Bonaire?

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Chris

Yes, I have used the RBC ATM outside the tourist office on Kaya Grandi to get cash through the Plus network painlessly. Also the MCB ATM across the street from Van den Tweel works well for getting cash from my Canadian accounts.

But what I was hoping for was a scenario like you can do if you have an account at RBC in the USA where, if you have a US Dollar account in the RBC in Canada, you can transfer funds online instantly and incur no fees. As best as I have been able to determine, you cannot do that for an RBC account in Bonaire. You must jump through the hoops of setting up a wire transfer through the SWIFT system and pay fees outbound, inbound, and possibly to a correspondent bank, then wait for it all to clear before you get access to your own money. So from that perspective, there is no advantage to using RBC than going from, say, TD in Canada to Banco di Caribe in Bonaire. But if you or anyone else can suggest an easier way, many of us would gain from it.

Thanks for for your input.

Andy

AGD,
    That is truly disappointing to hear that the various RBC entities don't play with each other nicely. No sure if it matters when I've used RBC atm in Bonaire I've never paid fees as I have a Canadian RBC account.

To update my experience so far:

Neither MCB nor RBC have responded to my emails.

Banco di Caribe did respond promptly and seemed amenable to providing an appointment when we next come to Bonaire. Their documentary requirements are similar to the other banks and their fees seem as good as any other bank. They also have internet banking. With the apparent edge on customer response, I think Caribe is probably the best choice for us. Any contrary experiences?

Maybe I should start a new thread on this related but different topic, but any experiences with contents insurance? I have contacted Ennia and they responded positively, so that might be a good route to go.

Andy

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

We use Orco. Astrid and Tania are both incredible. They are both quick to return calls or emails.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

We just setup an account with MCB. We did the first contact via email from Canada. They setup an appointment for us for 2 days after we arrived on island. The account was up and working within 10 days of that first meeting, and now it has been just over 3 weeks and we have our two Bank Cards and the On-Line portion is up and running.
    S&E Tanton

As a another update to my experience, MCB eventually responded to my email, but we were along the path to starting an account at Banco did Caribe. Our meeting went well there and we presented all the required documents and had an account operating within 3 business days. Unfortunately, we only had a week on the island so our bank cards and internet banking "token" were not available yet when we left. We will get our bank cards when we next return and the representative at the bank promised to FedEx the token so we can do internet banking from Canada.

So, so far, no complaints about Caribe.

Andy