Thread: What type of moray is this?

Default What type of moray is this?

moray.jpg

What type of moray is this? It has white coloring on the head but the body is yellow with black spots. I thought maybe a purple mouth, but according to Humann/Deloach a purple mouth has a yellow iris. If it is a spotted moray then it clearly isn't your typical spotted moray. Any guidance?

Gerard

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I suspect it is a younger Spotted Moray or one with slightly variant coloration.

Nice picture!

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thumbs up

Looked at my copy of ReefNet's Reef Fish Identification Florida Caribbean Bahamas (Enlarged 4th Edition) software and one of the photos pf the spotted moray is exactly like what was posted. I also have a photo from 2016 that I took at Yellow Submarine with identical markings and coloration. Tried uploading my photo but for some reason I am not currently able to do that at the moment. Sorry.

Last edited by ModRoy; 03-30-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: resized image from 3,5 Mb to 300Kb

Quote Originally Posted by DrDirector View Post
    I also have a photo from 2016 that I took at Yellow Submarine with identical markings and coloration. Tried uploading my photo but for some reason I am not currently able to do that at the moment. Sorry.
    Hi Mark, send the Photo to moderators@bonairetalk.com and we can "slot"/add it into your post.

Photo resized & added to post below
    Last edited by ModRoy; 03-30-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: done
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Nice picture!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDirector View Post
    Looked at my copy of ReefNet's Reef Fish Identification Florida Caribbean Bahamas (Enlarged 4th Edition) software and one of the photos pf the spotted moray is exactly like what was posted. I also have a photo from 2016 that I took at Yellow Submarine with identical markings and coloration. Tried uploading my photo but for some reason I am not currently able to do that at the moment. Sorry.

That is definitely the same type. Could indeed be a young spotted moray or a version of a spotted. I wonder how it would be possible to determine that. It is also curious that we have only seen these variants in the stretch from Something Special to Dive Friends. And they only hang out only in the shallows.