Thread: New to this Forum...so much to learn

Smile New to this Forum...so much to learn

Hi there,
    We are new to this forum and it looks like I have a lot of research and reading to catch up on. We visited Bonaire 2 years ago, and I have not been able to stop thinking about living there.
    Currently living in South Florida (for over 25 yrs, Northeast transplants) and now planning our "next step"
    Both my husband and myself have been in restaurant/catering/food service for most of our adult lives. I have also been a full time Real Estate agent since relocating to Florida, 29 years ago.
    We are also currently running a mobile food cart, at the local green markets, during the "winter season"
    Our retirement plans are now on the table. My husband wants to relax on the beaches and stare at the gorgeous water! I too like the relaxing part, but I want to keep working. Does anyone have any insight on the Real Estate environment on Bonaire? or potential food vendors at the cruise ports? We did own a 100 seat sit down deli and bakery here for 10 years and love the idea of a possible part time mix of our passions.
    We are planning on coming for a longer period of time in the near future, perhaps a short term rental to check things out.

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who has recently made the move or has any information on Real Estate or Food Service information.
    Thank you in advance!

Hi

I thought I would just pipe in and at least say welcome. Sorry, I canít help much with your questions. The wife and I are just doing up the final paperwork on a place we are buying on Bonaire. So we are really full on newbies. There does seem to be lots of real estate for sale on the island from the lower end on up. The real-estate companies, we worked with all seemed very professional. Their websites should give you a good idea of what is for sale and at what price point. I have no idea on the food side, other than Bonaire has some pretty darn good existing restaurants. I did not notice any street vendors by the Cruise Ship Docks, but some good good food trucks/trailers at some local beaches. I am not sure on the licensing aspect of such operations on Bonaire. Good luck on your seach and who knows I might just be one of your customers some day. Cheers.
    S&E Tanton

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneJoan View Post
    Hi there,
    Does anyone have any insight on the Real Estate environment on Bonaire? or potential food vendors at the cruise ports? We did own a 100 seat sit down deli and bakery here for 10 years and love the idea of a possible part time mix of our passions.
    We are planning on coming for a longer period of time in the near future, perhaps a short term rental to check things out.

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who has recently made the move or has any information on Real Estate or Food Service information.
    Thank you in advance!
    Welcome! My husband and I are also transplants from the US, and love living and working on Bonaire. Once you have your sedula (residency) it is not difficult to start a business here, Bonaire is very business-friendly in our experience. There are also sometimes businesses for sale if you don't want to completely start your own from scratch.

The restaurants are great on Bonaire, there are also wonderful food trucks and stalls. Deli and bakery would be great, I'd love to see that.

I think your idea to rent here for awhile to check all the options out is a great one. Look forward to seeing you on the island!

All the best,
    Kate
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire