Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware Delta Flight changes in April 2018...it's about the money!

Upstate/Central NY Fingerlakes region near Syracuse, NY

Default Beware Delta Flight changes in April 2018...it's about the money!

Heads up anyone who booked to fly Delta in April 2018!

We were booked to fly from Syracuse to Atlanta to Bonaire all on the same Saturday.
    With no notification...I only discovered because I was vacation dreaming and snooping...suddenly all flights in April only require staying over a night along the way and flying out the next day(Sunday).
    Plus, they're taking us on a little tour of the country to see scenic Detroit along the way instead of straight to Atlanta.

I'm calling BS and this is all about money because by doing this they can now book our initial flight at nearly twice the price to someone else...they were quick to offer a no-charge cancellation.
    They didn't do it to March flights...they didn't do it to May flights...just the desirable month of April.
    I'm absolutely incensed.
    If you're flying in April and booked early...better check your "confirmed reservation".
    "Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I understand your frustration but it appears that you may not fully understand what is causing it. This appears to be the result of flight schedule changes for the Saturday morning nonstop from SYR to ATL. The Bonaire schedule is unchanged and has nothing to do with these changes.

By law airlines aren't allowed to sell multi-leg tickets where the connection time is less than the published Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for that particular airport and connection type. In Atlanta the MCT for domestic-to-international flights is 40 minutes. Since Delta's ATL-BON flight departs at 9:45 AM that means your inbound flight from SYR has to be scheduled to arrive in ATL at 9:05 AM or earlier. Airlines reschedule flights frequently to meet their varying business needs and this time they rescheduled the April SYR-ATL Saturday morning nonstop to arrive in ATL at 9:17 AM, which isn't enough time for the 40 minute MCT required for your specific connection to BON. By law Delta has two options in this scenario: 1) Rebook you onto an earlier flight between SYR and ATL at no charge, or 2) Refund your original ticket at no charge. In your case the only way to get you to ATL in time to catch the BON flight is for you to fly into ATL the night before.

The March flights you mention arrive in ATL at 8:40 AM and the April flights arrive at 8:42 AM. Both are within the "legal" MCT but barely allow an hour to make the connection (assuming the flights are running on schedule.) I think you'd be crazy to bet your vacation on a connection this short, especially considering that it only runs once a week. If you miss the Saturday connection there's no guarantee that there will be room on the Sunday flight the next day. After that it's a bust.

If you were originally on a nonstop between SYR and ATL I'd call Delta and ask if they can put you on another nonstop the evening before, rather than the flight requiring a connection at DTW. DL2006 departs SYR on Fridays in April at 5:28 PM and arrives ATL at 8:23 PM. Bear in mind that they're under no legal obligation to do this and they may not be able to accommodate the request if available fare classes are different than your original ticket. A little sugar will get you farther with them than expressing your anger at the unplanned flight changes. (Not telling you what to do, but rather sharing my advice as a frequent business traveler.)

Hope this is helpful.

It takes 4hrs to drive from Syracuse to Newark and then you can fly direct to Bonaire in 4:15hrs any Saturday on United. I'd leave my house at 3:30AM to arrive in Bonaire the same day at 2:30PM.

OUAT, We were on Delta to Bonaire--a sold out flight for months--but, there were 26 empty coach seats. Meaning one or some connecting flights did not make it into Atlanta that day......We always go to Atlanta the previous day or evening--it"s the only way that makes sense to me!

Of course, driving to Newark makes sense to me as well--although, I'd be tempted to take 2 cars to be safe!

I know it's early, but I always check flights early - but all the Delta flights going to Bonaire next February are at least 18 hours - leaving on Saturday morning and arriving in Bonaire on Sunday afternoon. United has their normal flights (we are coming from Boston) - BOS - Newark - Bonaire getting there at 2:30 ish on Saturday. Why isn't Delta showing any reasonable flights?

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by schoude View Post
    I know it's early, but I always check flights early - but all the Delta flights going to Bonaire next February are at least 18 hours - leaving on Saturday morning and arriving in Bonaire on Sunday afternoon. United has their normal flights (we are coming from Boston) - BOS - Newark - Bonaire getting there at 2:30 ish on Saturday. Why isn't Delta showing any reasonable flights?
    The earliest non-stop between BOS-ATL departs BOS at 6 AM and only leaves 40 minutes to connect to the ATL-BON flight. That itinerary is fairly expensive but bookable if you're brave (or crazy) enough to risk the tight connection. All other DL flights depart BOS too late to catch the ATL-BON flight the same day. This seems reasonable to me.

Ah - is that from today? Every time I do a search it only comes up with the flights that land on Sunday - I sort by "travel time" - I'm going to have to check it out again! The connection time isn't so bad - the gates are usually pretty close to each other.

tursiops is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by schoude View Post
    Ah - is that from today? Every time I do a search it only comes up with the flights that land on Sunday - I sort by "travel time" - I'm going to have to check it out again! The connection time isn't so bad - the gates are usually pretty close to each other.
    I've never flown to Bonaire from the DC area on Delta that I didn't have to change terminals. The gates have NEVER been close!
    I see three same-day flights from BOS to BON Feb 9-16:
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

You guys realize the original poster on this thread checked out ages ago.

One of the reasons I love Bonaire is that it scares off the fain of heart. The only direct flightrs form the US are on weekends from Newark, Altanta, Houstan & now Miami. There is also a Toronto direct flight, but also I believe on a Sunday. The only reason I still live in the NYC metro area is because I can get there from her on Saturday year round direct (except September). If United ever cancels the Saturday ns flight, I'm moving to Atlanta or Bonaire.

Yes, I did see those - we have never had to go far to catch our connecting. Though we do fly through Newark and haven't had the best luck on the way home (flights cancelled, etc). We have always flown United, but thought it might be time to try Delta, then American came into the mix, and they have better prices, but we get then a little later...Thanks for the info!