Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigating Dutch grocery stores in English??

Question Navigating Dutch grocery stores in English??

OK, we went to Bonaire back in Nov for the 1st time and loved it! The only thing we didn't love was the 2 hours or so running around VDT trying to figure out what the hell everything was since it's in Dutch! So I know the top stores are Van Den Tweel, Warehouse Bonaire, Bondigro, and Zhung Kong Supermarket from what I read. My questions are: Is there any way of getting a grocery shopper to handle this if we get them the shopping list? What's the best way to navigate the shopping without spending so long in the store. Just find what we need and go? Thanks!

Other Bonaire Talkers have used Renee's shopping service . Think you contact her at info@reneesnorkeltrips.com When I shop I usually ask a Dutch lady for some help if I don't know what I am buying. But that does take time. Good Luck!!

just ask the department employees - everyone on the staff speaks english and the customer service at VDT-warehouse and bondigro is excellent.

Funny, some of the items we ended up liking we bought by mistake. It is indeed an adventure! I will second the statement that the VDT staff speaks English and they are more than helpful. I never thought I'd like something called Paprika Kronkels

Flyinv is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I agree trips to the dutch store are part of the fun!
    I don't really worry about what I am buying -- Just find some food to eat and get back out diving

Curious. I found most things pretty obvious. The couple things I needed help with I just asked someone else who was shopping. Really found most of the branding and packaging to be clear enough.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I've lived in Europe, in three different countries where 4 languages are spoken, and did lots of grocery shopping. I found it helped to know what I wanted, and to go to the store with those words already translated.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Thanks all! good advice from each of you. We're going to try it own our own I think. I like the idea of pre-translating the items we're looking for. Using Renee is a good option too though. She said she charges about 15% depending on fuel and time if anyone else is interested.

BostonDavid is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

We're old-fashioned, I guess, but we carry an actual printed paperback dictionary with us to the supermarket - the Hippocrene Concise - about $14 at Amazon.

Often looking at the pictures on the package helps. But that's how we ended up with the tuna fish pizza!