Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to buy and bring a car from USA

no - it can be any age

Thank you!!

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Just to throw some new life into this old thread....

After looking at the sparse pickings available on the island over our last few trips, we bought a Honda CR-V in Canada, did a non-stop 25 hour run to Miami and delivered it to Amcar for shipping here, forecast to arrive January 31.

We we understand that Rocar will be the handling agent at this end. We also know that we will be obliged to remit 25% tax on the landed value, ie. the cost of the car plus shipping.

First question: I have the receipt for what I paid, a print of the dealers asking price and the Canadian Red Book value. (Like the US Black Book). Any thoughts on this being the taxable basis versus a local made up number?

Secondly, any hints on not getting hung up on the importation process?

Next, what advice is there on registering and insuring the vehicle?

Any advice is appreciated

Andy

While we have not done a car import we have used Amcar/RoCargo for a few shipments this year. I would suggest your best bet is the Invoice from the Dealer, as that is the ‘real’ value of the Car. We have found the import process very professional and we let Amcar/RoCargo do it all, we wait for the call from RoCargo go in pay by Credit Card and pick up our stuff. We use John at Croolj & Flipse, he does our House and our Motorbike insurance. No car just yet but we are looking on island as I write this. We may have to change what we want a bit, as you are correct not a lot to pick from here. We are wanting new and from a dealer that has a good service shop. The registration process is not bad, once you have your insurance document, it should have the plate number you will eventually get. You will need your CRIB number to pay your road tax, the tax can be paid at any bank, or even online. CRIB is like our SIN in Canada. Once you get your road tax paid you have to go to the licence plate office to get your actual plate. I can’t recall the street name the licence plate office was on but it is just down the same road that the WEB office is on. Hope this helps a wee-bit. Good Luck!
    S&E Tanton

Thanks for that info, Steve. I think we should touch base with Rocargo ahead of time to see what their process will be like and to ensure they base the taxes on the US dollar value instead of using the invoice numbers that are in Canadian pesos. I do not have a CRIB, so that might be an interesting process. How did you get yours?

Andy

Quick update:

Patricia at Rocargo was very helpful today. She did not tell me the answers I wanted to hear regarding establishing import value, but we will see how that works out and report on the outcome.

We we then went to the Blagdienst (sp.?) to enquire about getting a CRIB with a sense of dread of dealing with the bureaucracy. Our fears were unfounded as the gentleman there was friendly and extremely efficient. After scanning in our passports and scrutinizing his computer screen for a minute he assured us we would have a CRIB by Friday

I will update when we get through the whole process including all the steps and costs.

Andy

Thanks for the information

Getting a CRIB was easy. I got mine while still at the Tax office, but the nice fellow serving me did mention it normally takes a bit of time. It was to get my new Vespa registered. So once I got the CRIB I went over to a Bank, in my case MCB as that is where I deal. But any Bank will do. I paided the ‘Road Tax’, since it was last fall they only charged me 25% of the annual fee. Right now a ‘B’ Plate on a Gas car will cost you $190 USD per year. My MF (Motorbike Plate) costs a bit less at $137 a year. I then took the receipt the Bank gave along with my proof of Insurance paperwork to the Licence Plate office and picked up the actual plate. The Licence Plate office is just down the road from the WEB office, I forget the street name. We just bought a new car yesterday, I will update this once I go throught the entire process once again. But so far I have talked to my agent and he will have my Insurance paperwork done by Thursday. I suspect I will be on the road Thurday PM or perhaps Friday AM in my brand new (‘Blue-Jean’) Blue Ford Edge, zoom-zoom.
    S&E Tanton

The new Ford Edge is at its new home. John Flipse dropped by at 830AM and we signed the Insurance application, he then dropped it off at the Guardian office and phoned back and said the policy would be ready to be picked up at 1130AM. We went on-line and paid the $198.40 Road Tax, as John already had the Licence Plate number, and I have a CRIB number. We then went to the Licence Plate office, got there at about 1140, a small line up, so no way we could get the plate before the 1200 lunch break. So we also did a lunch break, the Delfins Pool Side Bar for a Burger. We got back to the licence office at 200PM, and walked out with the two plates in about 20 minutes, we had to wait for 2 other customers in front of us. But the waiting room has AirCon so its fine. You need ID at the Plate office, so I took my Passport, but last time they accepted my Alberta Drivers Licence. Off to the Ford Dealer, who had the car ready, they put the plates on and we were on our way home by just after 300PM. Now if Bonaire would only fix the roads I would be extra happy, as the bumps and bangs from the seemingly infnite number of potholes wear out my suspension and not the rental cars.
    S&E Tanton

Congratulations Steve!

Do you have a phone number for John? The one on the web site answers with a recording that says the number cannot take incoming calls.