Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to buy and bring a car from USA

Quote Originally Posted by tish View Post
    Hi Steve.
    I did the research on this subject a few months ago.

Auto City does not have the equipment to maintain a Chevy Bolt, and the warranty will be voided if you take that EV out of the US. The only dealer on Bonaire that is investing in the equipment required to maintain an EV is Akkermans; they've ordered a Hyundai Ioniq for me from South Korea, and it's on its way, due to arrive mid-March. I have an electrician who will create the charging station.

You will NOT receive a US tax credit for the EV because you will be using it outside the US.
    Hi everyone,

Here was our experience - when we arrived as new residents, we were permitted to import one car per household duty-free within the first 6 months of our arrival. Any additional cars (or if you don't have residency) are taxed at 25% of the value of the car, which the Bonaire government determines. The duty-free car must be at least a year old and owned by you for at least a year.

We brought a one year old Toyota RAV 4 that we had owned for a year in the first shipment. There was no duty. We also brought our 2010 Honda Fit in another shipment, and declared the Kelly blue book value on our documents. Upon entry, it was revalued by the authorities for a few thousand dollars more (presumably what it would have cost on the island) and we had to pay taxes on their determination.

Hope this helps,
    Kate
    Kate Butler
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Thanks for the all the car info folks, it is very much appreciated.

On to my next questions. The Kitchen in the home is very ‘European’ Very nice and very well built, but we are use to a North American sized appliances. Are there any suppliers of higher end appliances like Wolf, Miele, KitchenAid etc on Bonaire?. The home is also in need of some new outdoor cooking items, like a BigGreen Egg, is there a shop on the island that carries outdoor grills/smokers? Back to transportation, I also want to bring/buy a new Scooter. My top choice is one of the bigger 300cc Vespa’s. Local dealers??

Hope to meet you all soon, our next trip that way is mid May, for 4+ weeks.

Picture of the home should be at the bottom, first time adding a picture so I hope it works.

Cheers
    Steve

0669CB6F-F18D-4534-895A-43BD40A17F78.jpg
    S&E Tanton

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

wow, that's a great home at a great location!

Just to share a very bad learning experience-- do not put anything in the vehicle if you are having it shipped! I looked at the interior of my Ford Fiesta as "potential space" so loaded it up with a new BBQ, dive weights, bed comforter, odds and ends to make a house a home, total of about 110 pounds. Bad idea! I was told the vehicle would be allowed to be filled and if the transported accepted it, all was good. NOT! Customs rejected the vehicle, so I had to pay to have it unloaded, pay to have the items crated and shipped, pay for the additional rental vehicle waiting for the vehicle that was declined to be re-shipped. That stupid BBQ (I got on sale) ended up costing me over $2500! (unload declined vehicle, store vehicle until next ship, crate and ship items b y hauling company, reload vehicle (a second time), rental car 3 additional weeks. That first steak better be really, really good!

Sorry for all your hassles and expenses. But thanks very much for the Heads-Up.
    S&E Tanton

So here is the catch - US appliance run on 60hz power. Bonaire power is 50hz - stay with European appliances. We have all new Siemens European appliances and have adapted.

No Wolf/Subzero (Wisconsin) Miele (German) KitchenAid (US generic) dealers on Bonaire. I import what I really want via Rocargo and get it delivered to Miami and it arrives in Bonaire 2 weeks later.

We will be on island again 3/17 to 3/24 and back agian 4/7 to 4/14. Maybe we can connect?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck52 View Post
    Back to transportation, I also want to bring/buy a new Scooter. My top choice is one of the bigger 300cc Vespa’s. Local dealers??
    Hi Steve, i was also thinking about purchasing a scooter and to ship it oversees from Miami. Discussed this issue with AmCar/Rocargo and finally decided to purchase one on the island with no headache of transferring. I've found out that it is not very reasonable to ship only a scooter because of a customs US rules and paperwork required. The alternative is a personal container but it is completely stupid idea for only a scooter. I bought scooter in ScootersBonaire where i leased scooters a years before i got own. They even helped to me with getting insurance and a license plate as well. As i heard Ennia and others don't like to issue insurance for only a scooter without significant object "in package with".

p.s.: is the picture of your house from Bilnem? It looks very familar. I was looked a lot before purchased own dwelling for island living

Olga,

Thanks for the information, I have not looked into any of the details yet. We do not take possesion until mid April and then we not go down until mid May. The house is up north a bit in the Sabadeco area. It has, and still is being used as a vacation rental, but we are not sure if we will continue with that or not. As for insurance we will have the house and a car so hoepfully we can get a pacakage deal from someone.

Hope to see you soon.

Steve
    S&E Tanton

http://multimart boniare I am also looking for appliances and check this store out on my last trip . They were very friendly and helpful.
    Not sure if they have what your need but it is an option.....
    Cheers, Anne

Hello, is there any restriction on the age of the car being brought in? I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler that is a great car.

Thank you!