Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to buy and bring a car from USA

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I contacted John through email. Apparently he had some phone trouble.

On on a separate but related vein, I thought I saw a post on here some time ago about storing one's car while away from the island, but all the search terms I tried did not unearth it. I believe it said one of the car dealers would keep your car while away and meet you at the airport for your arrival. Does anyone remember this, or have any good information or options?

Andy

CNautico is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We have been helped by Patrick at Caribe Car rentals . patrick@caribebonaire.com
    For 4 years we have had excellent service .
    When we leave Bonaire, we park in the airport's short term lot and Patrick picks up the car afterwards.
    Then when we return 2 or 3 month later , the car is back in the short term lot.
    Patrick has set of keys and we bring our own .
    Excellent service . Patrick owns an offsite lot where he stores the cars that he takes care off.
    The cost is $75 per month . All coordination is done by emails .
    Can't get better service anywhere.
    Club Nautico owner .

Andy, sorry I got busy and did not reply, my bad, but glad you got in contact with John at C&F. We will be using the storage service provided by Akkermans. Your vehicle is stored indoors and they wash your car before they deliver it to the Airport. It could be limited to folks who buy cars from them, but that one I am not sure on. The price is also $75 per month with comms by email, much like what CNautico described.

Cheers,
    Steve
    S&E Tanton

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks Steve and CNautico for your helpful replies. I will talk to both companies and see what they can do for us.

Andy

Hi Y'all!

First post for me. I'm a Canadian planning to become a resident of Bonaire and would love to be able to have an EV. I'd love to bring my Tesla down but I know there's no authorized Tesla shops on the island. Sigh.

I seem to recall reading that someone was getting a Hyundai Ioniq? Is the Hyundai dealership able to fully service it? I would love to hear about your experience. I understand there's no tax on EVs? Is that the only EV option?

Cheers,
    Patrick

I love my Ioniq 2018 EV, which I received from Korea in March. After that, the 2019 Ioniq EV was released. It has a larger engine and larger range, but the range of the 2018 is fine for this small island. Go to Akkermansbonaire.com to learn about the car and make contact with Edwin, the owner. At the time I ordered mine, Akkermans was the only dealership on Bonaire which had the equipment and the trained mechanic to service an EV. Locals very much respect this dealership and service department.
    You can access the owner's manual online and also watch multiple videos about the car on YouTube.
    Good luck, Patrick!
    Tish

@tish, thanks for the info. I'm looking at the Kona as I prefer a BEV but I don't see that on Akkerman's website. Did they happen to mention the Kona to you?

I ordered my Ioniq in October 2017. At that time the Kona was not an option. Also at that time the Ioniq was not on Akkerman's website, but I contacted the head of every Bonaire car dealership to ask if they had an EV available. That's how I learned that the only possible new EV here at that time was the Ioniq. Write to Edwin and ask him about the Kona.
    By the way, I had a charging station installed in my carport. Since I produce a good deal of my own electricity with solar panels, the car runs on renewable energy. That's why I bought an EV.
    Here's to saving the planet!

I'm going to be in Bonaire in March to look at some properties. Maybe I'll drop by and see Edwin.

That's awesome you have solar panels! I definitely want to install them. Would be great to get the Tesla Tiles and Powerall but I don't think it's available there. Would like to know more of your setup. Feel free to DM me as I know it's off topic for this thread.

Patrick

It's easier to reach Edwin online than in person. He's really good about answering.
    The same neighbor who set up my charging station installed my solar panels. I can put you in touch about both.
    I've added you as a contact but can't remember how to send you a private message. (It's been years since I've done that.) You should be able to message me.
    Tish