Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to buy and bring a car from USA

Default How to buy and bring a car from USA

Hi all. Someone bought and brought a car from the US? Is there a good broker who will help you with registration at customs and delivery?

CNautico is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We brought our car to Bonaire 3 years ago ..
    Amcar Freight in Miami handled all the paperwork .
    We drove to Miami and delivered the car at their facility .
    You need to bring clean title. An appraisal is also handy because
    you have to import taxes , on car value plus freight ) in Bonaire.
    Good luck
    Cnautico.
    Here is information ; they will answer your questions .

Address: 12600 NW 25th St #107, Miami, FL 33182

Phone: (305) 599-8866

I believe if you are a "new" resident you can import one car tax free. If you are not applying for residence (6+ months a year on Bonaire) you have to pay both the shipping + a 25+% import duty. AmCar from Miami is a good reliable shipper. Not cheap.

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I believe if you are a "new" resident you can import one car tax free. If you are not applying for residence (6+ months a year on Bonaire) you have to pay both the shipping + a 25+% import duty. AmCar from Miami is a good reliable shipper. Not cheap.
    Just curious, as longer term in Bonaire could be in our future, what is "not cheap"? Any ballpark range for, say, a small SUV? (CRV, RAV4 or similar). I know I would have to get a quote to nail down a more precise price, but wondering what order of magnitude it might be.

The problem with buying a car is you're limited to what's available. I came in August and there was more inventory, I had a car rented and figured I'd buy later. Now that the lease it up, but there's very little in the lower price range. I thought I'd look around, but I see either crap or a decent deal. I take too much time to think about the decent deal and it's sold. Very frustrating, you'll fare much better in the low season. Last September or October, a shipment of cars arrived and that would have been the time to buy. The prices are all over the place, there's no consistency. I did see prices that were too good to be true on the Bonsale website alongside legit cars for sale that I've looked at, and I believe they were scams, so beware of on-line only. I've been advised not to buy used rental cars, and with private sales you never know what you're getting or whether the person selling it actually owns the car. Also don't buy a brand of car that mechanics here don't know well and can't get parts for. Stick to Suzuki, Toyota and Hyundai. I like the people at the Toyota dealership on the North side of Kralendijk.

Quote Originally Posted by agd View Post
    Just curious, as longer term in Bonaire could be in our future, what is "not cheap"? Any ballpark range for, say, a small SUV? (CRV, RAV4 or similar). I know I would have to get a quote to nail down a more precise price, but wondering what order of magnitude it might be.
    To be clear, the question above about what is meant by "not cheap" refers to ChrisL's statement that shipping by AMCAR is not cheap. Any idea about what a "not cheap" shipping cost is, in very rough terms? $1,000? $5000? $10,000?

Thanks for any insight.

It looks like I am talking to myself here but if anyone is interested, I talked to AMCAR to get a rough idea of shipping costs. For a small SUV the rate for the shipping plus outbound paperwork and clearances would be about $2700.

I could not find an answer form an official source, but a couple of sources indicated that the import tariff into Bonaire remains at 25% of the combined value of the vehicle plus shipping (unless it is imported within the criteria of personal effects on moving to the island OR if it is an electric/zero emission vehicle). So a vehicle costing $10,000 in the USA, plus $2700 shipping, would incur $3175 import duty and end up being $15,875.

The costs of importing may well neutralize any cost saving of sourcing a vehicle in the USA, particularly for lower value vehicles, but of course, the variety and availabilty will be vastly greater and might just be worth it.

Andy

Hi,

Some good info here. I will be bringing a new car in from the US at some point in the next year. I need to construct a garage on my new house first. I am thinking a full-on Electric Car, either a Chevy Bolt, or the new Hyundai Kona Electric. I think I save the 25% import duties on such a car, but I suspect the cost to install the equipment and charge up an e-car will offset some, if not all of the apx $10K import savings. It is as much of a green thing as it is a matter of costs. My house has a high end solar install which I will also be adding too, in terms of capacity. From what I understand both brands are supported, by local dealers, is that correct? Any car I import I at least want a local dealer who can support it at some level. A second question, is ordering in a new car viable option on Bonaire? Time is not really the issue, just wondering if you can go into the dealers and get the exact car you want with all the options you want. That is pretty much what I do at home, all my current cars were ordered from a local dealer to my spec.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    S&E Tanton

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

In order to avoid the taxes, I believe there are restrictions as too the age of items you bring with your initial move. I think vehicles have to have been purchased at least one year prior and all other items need to have been purchased at least six months prior.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

Hi Steve.
    I did the research on this subject a few months ago.

Auto City does not have the equipment to maintain a Chevy Bolt, and the warranty will be voided if you take that EV out of the US. The only dealer on Bonaire that is investing in the equipment required to maintain an EV is Akkermans; they've ordered a Hyundai Ioniq for me from South Korea, and it's on its way, due to arrive mid-March. I have an electrician who will create the charging station.

You will NOT receive a US tax credit for the EV because you will be using it outside the US.