Thread: Is round trip airline ticket required from USA to Bonaire?

Question Is round trip airline ticket required from USA to Bonaire?

I remember in the past having to have a round trip ticket use to be required when leaving the US to Bonaire. But now that US citizens can stay up to 6 months in Bonaire, is it still a requirement?
    What if you were leaving on your boat? What if you don't know when you want to return?
    We only have one way airfares this time but don't want to have troubles at the airports!
    Any idea where I can verify this rule?

Thanks!

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Check with your airline. They are the only one who sees your ticket (when you check in for your flight to Bonaire).
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

We just flew in on Delta with a one way ticket, no problems .

I visit VERY frequently, literally every 5-6 weeks arriving from Curacao and Newark- I have never been asked to show a return ticket and I am NOT a resident and travel with a US passport.

Hey Suplady, We flew down in August with one-way tickets Delta and flew back on United. When we checked in at PVD the Delta agent gave us a tiny bit of grief about needing proof of return ticket when going through Bonaire Immigration. I gave her a wink and said "You have never been to Bonaire have you"?. Been 12 times and never once was I asked to provide a return ticket. Have fun!!

Also watching since we’re moving on island (now own a home) and our flights will all be one-way from now on. Hope to have residecy in early ‘18

Flew in to Bonaire on a one way ticket without issues at all! United from Portland Oregon, so thanks everyone! No one questioned our one way tickets!
    Now, the only unanswered question is: when will the weather be nice enough to return? March? April? Ha ha!!

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

This is an official site that explains some of the requirements and if you use a Chrome browser it will translate from Dutch to English:

https://www.rijksdienstcn.com/immigratie-naturalisatie/toeristisch-verblijf

It says that to enter you need proof of return, so unless you are a really good swimmer, that would mean officially you need a return air ticket. But, as others have reported, the application of that rule seems to be very flexible. In our back-packing days we visited many Asian countries that required proof of adequate funds for the expected stay and a return ticket, but if you presented yourselves well dressed and groomed, you were rarely asked. They only used the rule as a means to exclude people they suspected may support themselves by working illegally or through crime and would become a burden to society. So unless you look shifty, I suspect the immigration authorities would seldom cause an issue.

The bigger threat is, as Dannori hinted, an over zealous airline agent. When someone is refused entry to a country because they do not have valid passports, visas or meet all the entry requirements, the airline is held responsible and is fined and must return the offending individuals immediately, even if it means bumping other paying passengers. So the airline may be less flexible than the immigration authorities. The easiest solution if this comes up is to buy an overpriced fully refundable return sector with your credit card and refund it after arrival in Bonaire, because if the agent digs her heels in, you won't win the argument.

Andy