Thread: What restaurants serve lobster and who is the best and most reasonable

Kdleeskis2 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker
    Colorado, Western Slope..the better slope

Default What restaurants serve lobster and who is the best and most reasonable

Hi,
    We love all things seafood. But, particularly, lobster. And lionfish. Can anyone help. Please and thx so Much!

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Lobster isn't a regularly available in my experience. No one sells Caribbean lobster (no claws). Lionfish is available, at times. Pasa Bon Pizza often has it. Some food trucks frequently have it.

It also depends upon when you are coming. Lobster season is closed right now through October 31st. There shouldn't be any restaurants offering lobster right now.

"We love all things seafood"

As a direct result of that, there is little seafood left on Bonaire's reefs. Those reefs are a very sad representation of what they were 25 - 30 years ago. Short-sighted restauranteurs serving self-gratifying diners have not yet figured out that the price of serving that seafood is greater than the benefit, by far. A single grouper or turtle can be sold only once to a diner but that same animal can be sold thousands of times to divers. Bonaire has traded $1 today for $1 per month forever, to its own detriment.

Though Bonaire pretends they protect, every day there are numerous fishermen fishing directly over the reefs, even in the shallows inside the reefs.

Unlike beef cattle on ranches, we cannot just increase the numbers of fish on the worlds reefs to accommodate the ever increasing demands for wild ocean fish. Declining fish stocks on Bonaire and worldwide are the result of that demand. If you love the reefs, you won't eat them.

We love to scuba dive, and we do alot of it all over the Caribbean. Belize, Cozumel, Curacao, Virgin Islands, Antigua, St. Lucia, Saba.
    Most of the fish we eat aren't ones we see while diving. But, I get your point. And fish is the healthiest choice to consume. Thx for the insight. And thx to the others for their responses.

QUOTE=thom;454105]"We love all things seafood"

As a direct result of that, there is little seafood left on Bonaire's reefs. Those reefs are a very sad representation of what they were 25 - 30 years ago. Short-sighted restauranteurs serving self-gratifying diners have not yet figured out that the price of serving that seafood is greater than the benefit, by far. A single grouper or turtle can be sold only once to a diner but that same animal can be sold thousands of times to divers. Bonaire has traded $1 today for $1 per month forever, to its own detriment.

Though Bonaire pretends they protect, every day there are numerous fishermen fishing directly over the reefs, even in the shallows inside the reefs.

Unlike beef cattle on ranches, we cannot just increase the numbers of fish on the worlds reefs to accommodate the ever increasing demands for wild ocean fish. Declining fish stocks on Bonaire and worldwide are the result of that demand. If you love the reefs, you won't eat them.[/QUOTE]

Stinapa has a list of bonaire's protected species. the fisherman you see are catching the non-protected species -primarily for local consumption and are well monitored by Stinapa. Grouper - lobster -conch-turtle are among the protected. if you see any of these on a menu they are probably imported. Eat Lionfish -delicious and help protect the reef!

Really enjoy lionfish . Had it on Curacao. We have visited there twice. Love the diving there. Porto Marie, Playa Kalki, Superior Producer. Can only imagine how good it'll be on Bonaire. Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by petri hausmann View Post
    Stinapa has a list of bonaire's protected species. the fisherman you see are catching the non-protected species -primarily for local consumption and are well monitored by Stinapa. Grouper - lobster -conch-turtle are among the protected. if you see any of these on a menu they are probably imported. Eat Lionfish -delicious and help protect the reef!
    Last edited by ModRoy; 09-24-2017 at 02:06 AM. Reason: fixed Quote Box

Most better restaurants on Bonaire have a selection of fresh catch - red snapper, tuna, amber jack, barracuda, & wahoo. I love the grilled fish trio at La Catina. Lion fish is more of a food truck special, but it is around and a few restaurants offer it. I had an amazing red snapper dish at Mona Lisa last week. I had an equally excellent Caesar salad with seared sesame tuna at Windsock on the Beach for lunch.

When I want lobster, I head to the NE. I enjoyed oysters and lobster in Portland ME this week. Caribbean lobster gets harder to find - I've had the best ones in Cozumel Mexico earlier this year.

As to Bonaire, stick to the fresh catch - it never disappoints.

We were just in Maine a week and a half ago. Omygoodness. The lobster ..especially the softshell. Yum yum . Every single day we had some form of lobster. Roll, steamed, grilled, sushi.Yaaaasss! We plan on eating at La Cantina and ML. THANK YOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Most better restaurants on Bonaire have a selection of fresh catch - red snapper, tuna, amber jack, barracuda, & wahoo. I love the grilled fish trio at La Catina. Lion fish is more of a food truck special, but it is around and a few restaurants offer it. I had an amazing red snapper dish at Mona Lisa last week. I had an equally excellent Caesar salad with seared sesame tuna at Windsock on the Beach for lunch.

When I want lobster, I head to the NE. I enjoyed oysters and lobster in Portland ME this week. Caribbean lobster gets harder to find - I've had the best ones in Cozumel Mexico earlier this year.

As to Bonaire, stick to the fresh catch - it never disappoints.