Thread: Cell Phone Rental

DrDirector is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Cell Phone Rental

I know people used to be able to rent cell phones in the past from Chat N Browse when Michael Gaynor was alive and still ran his shop.

Is there anywhere else someone could rent a Chippie phone for a week at a reasonable rate while they are on the island? The rental phone needs to be on the Chippie network for a number of reasons, the most important of which seems to be ongoing issues with trying to call non-Chippie numbers from the Chippie phone, and the numbers to be called are mostly Chippie. (Is this still an ongoing problem as it was in June or is there a workaround?) Alternatively, is there a place on Bonaire (or elsewhere) to buy a very inexpensive phone that will work on the Chippie network?

Yes, I know my U.S.-based AT&T iPhone will work there and yes, I know about Skype and WhatsApp but I was looking for something that a first time visitor who is not very computer savvy can use to make local calls in an emergency or if otherwise needed. When my wife and I are on Bonaire, the condo we rent includes a Chippie cell phone and if we use up the prepaid card that is provided, we buy more time. Skype-to-Skype calls are free and Skype calls from my U.S. based account to land lines and cell phones on Bonaire are cheaper than using the prepaid card with the Chippie phone, but sometimes we are out and just need to use the local phone.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Mark

Default Phone

Hello Mark,
    My husband and I went into town to Digicel and purchased a cheap flip phone to use every time we go to Bonaire for our yearly 15 day trip there. It was $29 and we purchase a $20 phone card to put in there. Because we are going again this year, I was able to go online within 3 months of my last call to...TOP IT OFF. Which you can add any $ amount. We added $5.00. We could of left it with friends of ours who live on the island, to make one call to keep it active every 3 months, but we chose to do it this way.We have had no issues with it ever.....
    Best of luck,
    Juju

QUOTE=DrDirector;453855]I know people used to be able to rent cell phones in the past from Chat N Browse when Michael Gaynor was alive and still ran his shop.

Is there anywhere else someone could rent a Chippie phone for a week at a reasonable rate while they are on the island? The rental phone needs to be on the Chippie network for a number of reasons, the most important of which seems to be ongoing issues with trying to call non-Chippie numbers from the Chippie phone, and the numbers to be called are mostly Chippie. (Is this still an ongoing problem as it was in June or is there a workaround?) Alternatively, is there a place on Bonaire (or elsewhere) to buy a very inexpensive phone that will work on the Chippie network?

Yes, I know my U.S.-based AT&T iPhone will work there and yes, I know about Skype and WhatsApp but I was looking for something that a first time visitor who is not very computer savvy can use to make local calls in an emergency or if otherwise needed. When my wife and I are on Bonaire, the condo we rent includes a Chippie cell phone and if we use up the prepaid card that is provided, we buy more time. Skype-to-Skype calls are free and Skype calls from my U.S. based account to land lines and cell phones on Bonaire are cheaper than using the prepaid card with the Chippie phone, but sometimes we are out and just need to use the local phone.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Mark[/QUOTE]