Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things to do with 6-year old grandson on Bonaire----

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

great ideas--will do and like the idea of jumping @ oil slick

Have lined up a morning sail/snorkel trip on the Woodwind----going to do the 1-hour sub ride---jumping off Oil Slick---going to see about snorkel trip from LL to Katpata with handful of experienced divers (measure skills before hand at other sites)--going to LacBay and going watch kite people and have a burger---will pick up junk all over--going to the park for the day for diving & snorkel @ WII--teach him to drive a stick just in case something happens to me------ok that is not going to happen as only 5 years old--might try to go to Rincon and get ice cream and stop at goat cheese place---walk around downtown and talk about history of Bonaire---donkey farm---heck looks like we have a full week and I hope I can last! Any other ideas anyone just let me know as we arrive Bonaire January 20th and cannot wait as way too cold here in the Midwest.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Sounds like a great week.
    If you go to the park: be there early. It opens at 08:00. It will get very hot during the day.
    Bring your dive tag AND your receipt. It will give you free entrance to the park.
    Take a lot of water to the park. (I put some bottles of water in the freezer. That way they will stay cold all day and keep the cooler cold as well.) Take some apples: your 5-yr old might like to feed some apples to the Iguanas at Dos Pos. After you park your car there, you will have to follow the path till the end, it's about 200 meters
    I always bring an extra can/cooler of water in the back of the truck. It's nice to wash your face after snorkling in the park.
    If you go to Playa Chikitu in the park: a great surf, nice sandy beache, but stay in the middle. There are strong currents at the sides.
    Your grandson will love to snorkel at Wayaka 2. it's a very easy entry and nice shallow snorkeling.
    If he has not snorkeled before, you might consider to give him some practice in a swimming pool at home.
    Here a nice video of the park: http://stinapabonaire.org/washington-slagbaai/

thanks for all the help---he is here at our house now and going to click on the site and show him what to expect!~

Hi,

What a great experience for your grandson! My two children have been going to Bonaire since they were 13 months old. I think you have a great itinerary planned.

Just my two cents. The trip to the Park can be a long day for a 5 year old, so I would plan that earlier in your week. My kids loved the blow holes at that age.

As far as snorkeling, they really loved the area in Town near Bonaire Ocean Front apartments. There are so many things to see right near the sea wall in only about 5 feet of water. Really easy entry and benches to put on fins etc. and it is shallow enough that they could take photos, which my kids loved. There is also a playground to have lunch etc. It is amazing how much sea life hangs out along that wall (eels, puffer fish, octopus and all the usual suspects..two years ago we saw a batfish)

Their other favorite snorkeling sites at that age were: Buddy Dive Dock, Salt Pier, Donkey Beach Pier and Tori's Reef. If you snorkel off of the Buddy Dive dock and head towards Captain Don's (staying closer to land) there is a good chance he will see a few Tarpon. You can also get a milkshake afterwards at Buddy's

Another favorite was to go to the bridge which is South of the Lighthouse on the way to Jibe City. It was a fun area to swim, snorkel and explore, there is enough current to make a lazy river when a wave hits the reef.

Caves: A great cave would be the one near Sabadeco Crown Villas. It is one the way to Oil Slick Leap, so you could combine it will jumping off the platform. Look for the blue rocks across the street from Crown Villas. There is a short path to the cave. The entrance to the cave looks like a manhole and there is a ladder. There is also another cave across the street from the Caribbean Club. So you could do both caves and then jump! Bring flashlights for the caves.

If you have any fish and bird guide charts, I would definitely bring them or you can just pick them up in Bonaire. At the end of the day they loved looking up everything they saw and talking about it over dinner.

Speaking of dinner, their favorite two places (in order) are Captain Don's (pizza, iguanas, tarpon and parrots) and BobbyJans.

And if Grammy and Grandpa need a break, find a pool I found the simpler the better at that age, they were amazed at watching a big ship dock one day.

Only a few more days, safe travels

Beth

eta: we did the horse back riding two years ago, they take the saddles of the horses and you swim in the water with them...it was so fun and the guides we great. But there is always next year if you can't fit it in...lol!
    Last edited by Bethy; 01-16-2018 at 10:10 AM.