Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capriccio disappointment

Default Capriccio disappointment

We always go to Capriccio's when on the island. We like the food, but have become increasingly disappointed with the service and attitude of staff over the past few years. The owner caters to locals she knows, or large parties, but seems to barely tolerate the imposition of a table for two. It's become an unpleasant experience that outweighs the good food.

Hey Janangier,
    We no longer go to Capriccio's for that very reason. On our last visit to this restaurant (10 years ago in old location) I was unhappy with the veal ossobuco I ordered. It tasted like days old pot roast. The owner became belligerent and actually tried to pit my wife against me "your dish is good isn't it?". Well my wife, not one to pick a fight with, suddenly became quite unhappy with her dish as well. I thought the woman was going to implode. I asked for the check minus the meals, the bottle of wine was good after all. On the way out we were actually met at the door by the chef, standing there quite menacingly with his arms crossed staring us down as we left.

I must mention the we have visited Bonaire 12 times in so many years. Literally hundreds of meals at Bonaire restaurants and have never had such an experience. However I have seen many positive reviews of Cappricio's and it seems many loyal patrons. I am not one of them. Mi Banana over Cappricio's any day.

Yes, this has been a noticeable pattern to us as well.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Some in our group went to Italy in the World (near Pasa Bon Pizza) a couple of weeks ago....and loved it. Food, prices, ambiance, service, everything.
    We'll try it next visit.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

I went to Capriccio's once in the old space. was not impressed with either the food, n or the attitude of the staff. Have not returned.

I'm not a local, just a frequent visitor and homeowner. I dined there with my wife in April and recently with a buddy and our three 17yo teenage daughters in June. Both dinners were very good. The service was also good. I can't compare it to the old location, but I thought it was decent enough the first time I ate there to bring friends more recently. I'll be back on Bonaire next week and was planning on eating there again with my wife. I am notorious for sending back anything that does not taste right to me - I have not had that problem yet at Capriccio's. If I don't like something or how it was prepared, I generally make that call after only one bite and have only made a chef angry enough to come out of the kitchen once in a very famous Indian restaurant in Manhattan. You can't expect not to pay for an entree because you did not like it, but you can expect them to offer a different entree or a do over if you reject it after it was served. I really like the wine that was recommended here.

My mermaid and I just returned from 2 weeks on Bonaire. Each time we go we make a point to eat at Capriccio's twice during our stay and never encountered a problem with the service or the food.

We have visited their old and new location and glad they moved to their newer space a few years back, better view of the water considering all the building where they were.

We ate there about 7 years ago at the old location. I asked for some grilled chicken to be added to my pasta dish. I told the lady owner I was more than willing to pay for the extra meat. You would have thought I asked for Maine lobster to be flown in from Maine at that very moment. It wasn't happening, and she didn't care if I was willing to pay. She was very rude about the entire issue. We haven't been back.

Billy

I never followed up after my early July post. Dinner the following week with my wife in July was good. What goes around comes around. I think Capriccio's is worth a try and pretty good.

Default Capriccio is wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I never followed up after my early July post. Dinner the following week with my wife in July was good. What goes around comes around. I think Capriccio's is worth a try and pretty good.
    Capriccio is always delightful. We've been going for decades, and go at least twice a week when on the island. We've never had a bad meal, or indifferent service. It is remarkable how consistently delicious every meal is. In fact, they have the best pizza on the island, IMHO, which we always have as an appetizer. The extra goes home for lunch next day. Service is great, but unobtrusive. We always get more water automatically, without having to ask when the glass gets low. Wine suggestions are accurate, but only offered when you ask, which is most polite. The selection is quite extensive as well.

Cannot wait to return this year, and Capriccios is on our must dine at list.