Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Airfares---Really higher than ever!

Two more traitors here, going to Cayman Brac instead this year due to airfare... but we did make it to Bonaire twice last year. Haven't been to Brac and I hear the shore divin's betta anyway.

Default Return flight Bonaire -Atlanta-Ny

Hello,
    I'm sorry if I didn't say....it was the return flight home. Whether you had a carry on or not....that security checkpoint after dropping off bags was a complete nightmare. My husband and I are going again this year but we are doing the direct flight from Newark,NJ. Going to Bonaire was not an issue at all because our bags went straight to Bonaire. It's the process to come back into the states. If they had more than 2 scanners for personal stuff and more than 1 person scanning the people, I'm sure it would of went a lot better. I asked if there was any reasons for the extremely long delays...and they brushed off me with...this is how things are. Not the answer I was expecting. I guess that is how Atlanta works.
    All the best,
    Juju

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    So when you checked in it was long lines--correct? When you checked in and your checked luggage processed why did you go thru customs or are you talking about your return leg of the trip? The flights on Houston was easy sailing thru on return trip so I guess that will not be the case but have 3-hour from arrival in ALT from Bonaire to our short return flight to KCI. Guess my thoughts on arriving @ 6:30AM for 9:30 flight out of ATL is not out of line as rather be early and wait than arrive with little time to spare.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jujubees View Post
    I guess that is how Atlanta works.
    Unfortunately, it seems so. The transit through ATL on our 2016 trip took nearly two hours and we missed our connection home. Last month we purposely scheduled our connection much later, and the process took only (?) about 50 minutes. Still, it could have gone much more smoothly. I will add however, there were a ton of "ambassadors" I guess you could call them that were assisting travelers this time around. Our first trip was just a few rude employees (not TSA or Customs) literally yelling orders at already tired and frazzled passengers. Perhaps this is an intentional improvement but time shall tell.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

thanks for the info--if you down between 1-20 to 2-18 let me know and we will buy yo a refreshment for your help! Royce

We always try to allow 3-4 hours for US transient flights since the US still hasn't learned from Europe how to manange international transient passengers, security, etc ..... (love Schiphol). If we end up with a couple hours gateside for our domestic leg, there is always a pub somewhere close to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by rayandpam View Post
    Two more traitors here, going to Cayman Brac instead this year due to airfare... but we did make it to Bonaire twice last year. Haven't been to Brac and I hear the shore divin's betta anyway.
    Don't be so harsh on yourselves. Its just the economic reality of unreasonably high airfares. We too are looking at Brac for next summer instead of Bon and have been taking trips to CUR and GC where the airfare is about half. Our first trip to Bon in 2009 had reasonable air - $370 something. At $600-$1,200 they are getting priced out of our market. We can fly to CUR and GC for $300 and Brac for a little more.

Hopefully bonaire can get this air thing straightened out for all of us. Shore diving cayman crac is limited as far as i can remember but that was close to 10 years ago. There was unlimited shore diving on the house reefs but little else compared to what we are all use to on bonaire. Mostly boat diving and those reefs were wonderful. So, it just seems that divers are trading wonderful shore diving for price. I get it. Im in the same predicament but happen to own on island. A little biased too, i guess.

Bonaire flights are comparatively expensive because there are far less travelers to Bonaire then to the Caymans and far less tourists, divers and inhabitants. The better and more popular the destination, the more expensive the flight. There is only one Bonaire and no place anything like it on the east Atlantic Coast, and in my case, non-stop flights on Saturday's from Newark most of the year. I don't mind paying 30-60% more.

I found it interesting that a number of previous posters indicated they were going to GC, Little Cayman, or Cayman Brac due to high airfares to Bonaire. It has been 15+ yrs since I visited those islands but as I recalled, it would only take a couple dinners out or a few trips to the bar on those islands to make up the difference in airfares. I remember paying $18 plus for a six pack of beer at a store on Little Cayman and about $6 for a beer at the resort bar. It didn't help that they discounted U.S. currency 20% just because they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparty View Post
    I found it interesting that a number of previous posters indicated they were going to GC, Little Cayman, or Cayman Brac due to high airfares to Bonaire. It has been 15+ yrs since I visited those islands but as I recalled, it would only take a couple dinners out or a few trips to the bar on those islands to make up the difference in airfares. I remember paying $18 plus for a six pack of beer at a store on Little Cayman and about $6 for a beer at the resort bar. It didn't help that they discounted U.S. currency 20% just because they could.
    Sparty, you are correct that liquor and dining out costs are higher than on Bon. But the math is such that we can still dive a week on GC for less than on BON. We get air nonstop to GC with two free checked in bags for $300 or less. With a family of four that is $1,200 or less. For Bon nonstop out of New York with 1 bag that costs we are looking at $650-$1000 per or $2,600-$4,000.00. We get car rental/shore diving/accommodations for about the same or less on GC. Food in the markets are about the same and with two free checked in bags nonstop we can bring a lot of food. Our costs for 4 going to GC is significantly less than Bon despite the higher price of eating or drinking out which we do limit on GC because it is so expensive.