Thread: North of Gotomeer?

Default North of Gotomeer?

Has anyone driven around the refinery along the coast north of Gotomeer? We are thinking about a snorkeling adventure and looking for feedback. Your replies are most appreciated!

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

It is beautiful up there. Susan Porter's BSDME can help you find some spots. Choose your entries carefully so you can find them again when you exit.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Exclamation Shared from the STINAPA FB Page....

not sure how soon you are wanting to go to the Park/ Gotomeer area, but this might affect you :-

STINAPA 15th April 2017 - Washington Slagbaai National Park will be closed at least to next Wednesday.

After receiving 65.3 mm of rain in 3 hours, a lot of damage was done to the roads of WSNP. The rangers worked hard to help all the people in the 41 cars that were there to safely leave the park. The Park Manager inspected the roads and the general condition of the WSNP, and the conclusion is that the wiser decision was to close the park until next Wednesday (April 19th). After that, the situation of the roads is going to be reevaluated to decide if this period will be extended or not. In the pictures you can see some of the damage that was done to Boka Kokolishi, Playa Bengue and the roads. If you have any question about the park feel free to call 788-9015. Please share this information.
    for those of you on Facebook, here's the Link to the pictures...
    https://www.facebook.com/Bonaire.STI...47197835297445
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

On google maps there is a road that enters BOPEC. Just before that entry you can turn to jog around BOPEC then travel up the coast. I have done the dive at the end of the road. It was a long trip, I didn't think the diving was any better than many of the other sites. It's been several years, I don't know if you can still make that trip or not.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

if you continue up the road Thom is talking about it will end at the "fish camp".

I've never dived at the fish camp.

Heading back south from the fish camp you will come to Nukove. This is a small beach(rocky), and an eexcellent dive - and I would think a good snorkel as well.

Continuing south from nukove the road will veer away from the water. When you go down the hill to the water again you will see a rough road that turns right and heads North along the water. Taylormade and candyland are on this road. As I remember they tend to be a bit rougher than most so I don't know how they'd be to snorkel.

The area just south of BOPEC (a transfer/storage depot, not a refinery) is verboten. There are signs so you'll know.

Continuing south you'll come to a left turn to Rincon and back to kralendjik along the east side. The road southward towards karpata is one-way northbound so you have to take the Rincon route. If you want to do the sites from witches hut North to karpata do them northbound in th morning.

We enjoy going North of bopec but it's an all day event. Take food and drink.
    Brad Ford

larrygross is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The road around Bopec is generally full of big puddles in wet weather, so currently there is reason for concern. However, Playa Frans, at road's end, needs access so I would think the road would be kept open. Snorkeling at Nukove ended with Lenny, in my opinion, when the elkhorn coral got wiped out. Candyland is a good snorkel site. I haven't tried Taylormade. The road is a good place for iguanas and birding, all the more so since it's slow going.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by larrygross View Post
    ...it's slow going.
    Man, you got that right.

At least it's not far...
    Brad Ford