Thread: Just Let The Bonaire Wind and Sun Do It ………. Day 5

Default Just Let The Bonaire Wind and Sun Do It ………. Day 5

“Well, that sucks,” Leslie (Double L) said. She was standing on the other side of the truck from me.

We were at Tori’s Reef with our tanks laying on the tailgate, rigged and ready to go. I was planning the adventure of donning my three layers of wetsuit to coincide with Leslie being suited up.

“What?” I asked.

“I forgot a towel to dry off with,” Double L said, as she peered at me from behind one of the rear doors. Her shoulders were slumped and she was slowly shaking her head.

Obviously, not thinking this through thoroughly enough and not seeing the significance of the perceived problem, I simply shrugged. After all, I never bring a towel to dry off with.

“How am I supposed to dry off after the dive?” She asked.

“Well,” I said, carefully, “I just shake my head out a bit, then let the Bonaire wind and sun do the rest.

Her hazel eyes pierced my first layer of neoprene as she took a breath, then in a low, controlled voice, said “But that’s not how I do it.” She then went about getting her wetsuit on. I knew from that moment forward, all of her thoughts would be on how she was going to work around this problem. No towel. This proverbial fly in the ointment. Her ointment.

All of us have our personal way of gearing up for a dive and tearing down afterwards. We all have our likes, dislikes, processes, and, to a certain extent, quirks. There’s things you do first; things you do last. I’m sure each of us have specific places in our trucks for certain pieces of dive gear.

Well, Double L’s procedure at a dive site would rival any procedure NASA ever developed for a space shuttle launch. She is very precise with what she does and how she does it. It involves multiple towels, rocks to hold the towels in place, anti-crinkle hair spray, multiple layers of chapstick, a hair pick, towels to wrap her mask and camera in, and an entire checklist of the order her gear goes on and off.

It’s actually quite impressive to watch. And believe me, she comes by this honestly. She’s an accountant by profession and very detailed by nature. Her days are spent full of regulations, spreadsheets, and processes. It’s who she is and everything she does serves her well. 750+ dives on Bonaire must say something.

The dive on Tori’s Reef was magnificent. We encountered a huge green moray eel swimming through the coral. He’d stop some distance in front of us, then when we got close, he’d swim away again. This went on for about the first half of the dive. We also saw a small green turtle. He was near the mooring buoy when we dropped below the surface and was there as we came back.

The water temperature is consistently between 78 and 80 degrees, with more 78 degree readings than 80. Being that I’m getting older, and that I’m probably somewhat acclimating to the Bonaire waters, I’ve been experiencing some coldness. I bought a lava core long sleeve top to wear under the vest that I wear under my wetsuit. Three layers. That seems to do the trick, as far as the warmth is concerned, but it sure adds to the dive prep time.

We stopped yesterday for lunch at the King Kong Burger truck parked at Bachelor’s Beach. Mighty fine burgers and fries. If you need to quench a desire for a good burger and fries, I recommend giving them a chance. Quick, convenient, and reasonably priced. Plus, you can eat at one of the tables looking out at the ocean. Great lunchtime view.

As always the weather is great, the ocean is blue, and the diving is fantastic.

After we finished our dive, left Tori’s Reef, and were sitting at Bachelor’s Beach enjoying our burgers, I asked Les how she dried off.

She munched on a french fry, swallowed, and said, “I did what the smart people do.”

I munched my own fry and swallowed. “Really?” I asked. “What’s that?”

“I let the wind and sun dry it for me.”

She smiled. I smiled.

Dive on Friends.

Dave & Leslie.

Lakewood, Washington - the cold, green waters of the Pacific Northwest!

I love this post so much!!!

Cool simply wicked

Hehehe I smiled too

Hi Dave, may I ask if it is okay for me to put a link to this thread on the BT FB Page?

I'm sure there's many people who have liked the FB Page but don't wander around here too much
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Hey Roy -- feel to re-post or link anywhere. After posting on the internet, I relinquish any and all rights or ownership to the material. It's all just for fun anyway.

But thanks for asking. I'm actually quite honored that you want to re-transmit it. Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I'm always amazed that anyone really reads this stuff.

Dave.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

you made me smile :-)

I love reading your tales ;-)!!