Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonaire Residency for U.S. Citizens: FBI Check Now Required

I went to the census office with my birth and marriage certificates, but they were rejected. Birth certificates have to be issued within the last 12 months, and everything else within 6 months, (for me, that is marriage and divorce documents). Even though the instructions say they must be appostiled OR with an official stamp, the official stamp was not acceptable. I was told I must have an appostile from the department of state.

Also note: for divorce documents, a copy of the divorce certificate is not sufficient. you need a copy of the Judgement of Divorce, which is different. Make sure you get the right one, or get both just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DSearle View Post
    OK. Research complete. Here's the full scoop:

For United States citizens applying for residency in Bonaire.

One of the documents required for your application for Admission by Operation of Law (IND form MBES-08)
    is ďa legalised certificate of good conduct, for the last five years, issued by the competent authority where
    you have lived for the last five years (not older than three months).Ē This document is also called a VOG
    (Verklaring omtrent gedrag).

Until recently, IND accepted a document produced by your local police department, and this document
    required no authentication. Since January 1, 2017, you must provide a VOG involving a nationwide search,
    and the document must be authenticated with an apostille. You get the document you need from the FBI,
    and because itís a federal document, the apostille must come from the U.S. Department of State
    (your state government cannot authenticate a federal document)

WARNING: It takes about 18 weeks to get these documents from the federal government,
    12-14 weeks for the FBI document and 5 weeks for the apostille from the State Department.

Getting the FBI Identity History Summary Check
    You can read all about it and start the process on this page of the FBI website:
    https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/id...summary-checks. Read the FAQs on this page.
    Step One: Complete the Form
    Itís linked in the webpage above, or you can get it here: https://forms.fbi.gov/identity-history-
    summary-checks-review/q384893984839334.pdf

Step Two: Get Fingerprinted
    Thereís a standard form you must use. This is not a do-it-yourself project. Read the instructions
    on the FBI website.

Step Three: Pay the Fee
    The fee is $18 per person. You can pay by money order, certified check, or credit card (by filling out
    a form with the payment information). You cannot pay by cash, personal check or business check.

Step Four: Go Over the Checklist
    Make sure youíve included everything.

Step Five: Send Everything in to the FBI
    When you get the report back from the FBI, you send it in to the State Department.

Getting the Apostille from the State Dept

Hereís the link to the State Department webpage for this purpose: https://travel.state.gov/content/
    travel/en/legal-considerations/judicial/authentication-of-documents/apostille-requirements.html

Hereís the link to the form (DS-4194) you need to complete:
    https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/183033.pdf

The instructions are on page 3 of the form. Itís pretty straightforward.
    The fee is $8 per document, and you should enclose a check (a personal check is OK for this), the
    completed form, and the documents to be authenticated. The Country of Use (Section 4 of DS-4194)
    is Caribbean Netherlands. WARNING: Do not mail important documents like these to your
    Bonaire address
    . This will add several weeks to the time it takes to receive the documents, and
    risks their being lost altogether.

Bonaire Help Desk
    provides this information without cost as a public service. It is compiled from publicly available sources and is true
    to the best of our knowledge, but this is not legal advice and we make no warrant or guarantee.

Bonaire Help Desk is a service of International Bible Church of Bonaire.
    Hello! Can you please clarify whether an apostille is still required or if one is to use an authentication? It looks like they both use the same form 4194? The instructions are poorly worded, but I gather that I submit the FBI BGC with 4194, I hope that is correct? Thank you for your assistance!

I was wondering if you could tell me the time line for the documents that need to be Apostille? Iíve heard it has to be within 6 months for marriage license and birth certificates but 6 weeks for the FBI report ( is this true)? Iím planning on moving from California and would like to obtain residency this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce O View Post
    I was wondering if you could tell me the time line for the documents that need to be Apostille? Iíve heard it has to be within 6 months for marriage license and birth certificates but 6 weeks for the FBI report ( is this true)? Iím planning on moving from California and would like to obtain residency this year.
    Joyce -

Agnes Joosten is one of the local experts on this and she can give the timing of all of the difference documents that you need.
    Her email address is: agnes2101@hotmail.com
    Her phone is: +599 7961715

Good luck!
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Thank you so much!