Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current conditions

Default Current conditions

Arriving on island in 9 days. Does anyone have the water temp and visibility to date.

frattray is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

79F to 82F warmest was the shallows at salt pier. Viz: I could see boat hulls from the bottom of the drop off at Buddy's, so 110 ft at that location.

Thank you. Viz seems to have cleared up even from the amounts of rain that bonaire had. Sounds great and cant wait

diverdan1 is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the info, we will be there tomorrow.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by frattray View Post
    79F to 82F warmest was the shallows at salt pier. Viz: I could see boat hulls from the bottom of the drop off at Buddy's, so 110 ft at that location.
    Viz is normally specified in the horizontal, not vertical. Or, if necessary in the vertical, then down-looking, not up-looking. Has to do with the optics of light in seawater, I believe. That is, your 110 ft estimate is a real number, but does not mean the viz is also 110 ft horizontally.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Well then. Can someone go get hotizontal and give me a good guesstimate of the viz.? Thank you, only 7 days left to wait

frattray is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Certainly, Tursiops. I find it difficult to accurately determine viz without a known reference. At home I could loop a reel around a rock and reel it out, counting the knots to know the viz. In this case, I had an actual depth reference and an actual hull to look at. It was certainly better viz than being in the Niagara River, lol.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Certainly, Tursiops. I find it difficult to accurately determine viz without a known reference.An OW certified diver is only certified to a depth of 60'.
    An OW certified diver is only certified to a depth of 60'.

Yep, that's a problem. One technique is to look at something at the edge of viz, like a coral head or person, and then swim to it/them counting fin kick-cycles. "Edge of viz" means you can see it clearly enough to know what/who it is. For many folks, 40-50 kick-cycles is about 100 ft. Better though to calibrate your own kick-cycle! Out in front of Buddy Dive, the mooring blocks are about 100 ft apart.
    It was certainly better viz than being in the Niagara River, lol.
    I believe you! Hey, it's Bonaire, the viz is never really bad, and it changes all the time anyway so knowing exactly what it is today doesn't help much for someone arriving in 9 days.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Telstar2112 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Also arriving next week, can't wait! Has the weather been particularly wet and windy this year? Forecast shows showers and pretty good wind (25mph) nearly every day for the next 10 days. Is this the normal Bonaire weather or wetter and windier?
    Thanks,
    Steve

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    Viz is normally specified in the horizontal, not vertical. Or, if necessary in the vertical, then down-looking, not up-looking. Has to do with the optics of light in seawater, I believe. That is, your 110 ft estimate is a real number, but does not mean the viz is also 110 ft horizontally.
    I can see the sun...but I guess you are saying the land visibility is not 93,000,000 miles!

I have been diving everyday for the last four weeks. The visibility generally has varied between 40-80 feet, sometimes during the same dive. Maybe a bit more or a bit less on occasion, but no gin-clear days at all. This has applied from north to south at all sights, with neither direction offering any advantage.

Weather wise, it definitely has been rainier than I had previously seen in Bonaire. But the showers have not been long lasting and do not ruin your day.

Cheers