Thread: How long has Waterlands existed?

Default How long has Waterlands existed?

Hi all

We just signed on to the forum and find it helpful and interesting. This is our 4th trip to Bonaire and we are here fore 5 weeks until mid March.

I could be mis-remembering this, but the first time we came in 1994, I thought we drove from the airport right along the shoreline to the town centre. When we came back a couple of years ago after a long interval, of course it was necessary to cut inland to go around the Waterlands area. Can any long timers tell me when that harbour was first dug out? Or maybe it was there in 1994, I just don't remember it!

Andy

The original development project that blasted the canals from the limestone was called Flamingo Paradise. The original studies and experiments for water flow through the canal system took place in 1978. They were most definitely there when we first visited Bonaire in the mid 90's.

The canals appear on the 1969 US Geological Survey.

Thanks for the replies. Clearly I did not remember correctly.

Very interesting water flow study....I wonder if they did modify the design to include the return flow culverts?

Andy

This is a bit off topic, but since we have some people who know the area I thought I'd tag along.

Is it possible to swim off the properties in Waterlands? Is the water too stagnant for that to be safe? Or perhaps it's prohibited as a result of being a watercraft specific channel? I've always wondered.

The water flows, has quite a lot of fish, turtles and while rarer...rays come in and hunt so it's not stagnant. I do know an owner on a neighboring community that jumps off of their dock for exercise swimming - no idea if this is considered acceptable for the lagoon but as far as Waterlands goes I do believe we at least have no diving signs. Personally I would just go to the end of the road and swim off of Windsock anyway. Maybe it is tempting from a 'hang around the house' standpoint but for me the ocean is too hard to resist.
    Owner, AquaVilla @ Waterlands Village (#6)

Thanks for the info Jezlock!