Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Curacao, Insel worries

Telstar2112 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default From Curacao, Insel worries

I have a trip to Bonaire planned in March, great Jet Blue flight into Curacao arriving Saturday at 4:34 pm. With customs and all, Too late to catch the Divi 5 pm flight. Had booked on Insel to get us into Bonaire that night but it is looking more and more like that is going to be a problem.

Anyone know if Divi would be likely to make a later flight to Bonaire to handle the Jet Blue flight? Or are they not set up to fly at night? Or maybe add an earlier fight out Sunday.

Or if Bonaire govt. will be able to support Insel in some way to help keep those smaller jets flying into Bonaire. I heard their larger jet international flights were already grounded, can anyone confirm if that is true?

Any news on the ferry front, I read that the study was completed but heard no more?

Seeming like the super expensive flights from Newark, Atlanta and Houston are looking better, but already bought my tickets so that will have to wait for next time, although the cost would not be just a little more, but about 3 times more!

Any recommendations for the one night in Curacao if it comes to that? Getting older and don't want to stay in a dump but don't want to pay more than say $130 for the night, and would be good to have some view or to be able to take a dip/night snorkel to wash off the travel!

Sorry for so many questions!
    TIA,
    Steve.

Lakewood, Washington - the cold, green waters of the Pacific Northwest!

I understand that Divi does not fly at night.

Apartamentu Hollanda was an option for an overnight stay in Curacao that I used before.

I purposely took the earlier American flight MIA to CURACAO so we could get last Divi flight to BONAIRE same day.

Steve
    I just read this on the Bonaire Reporter's facebook page.
    I don't think we will be flying Insel anytime soon.
    Good Luck
    Dave

United States Consulate General Curacao
    Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Insel Air

February 1, 2017
    The U.S. Consulate General Curaçao informs U.S. citizens that it has temporarily prohibited U.S. Consulate personnel from flying on Insel Air. The Consulate adopted this policy following an internal review of safety-related considerations. On December 27, 2016, an Insel Air flight bound for Curaçao was forced to land in Colombia due to an inability to pressurize the cabin. On January 13, 2017, an Insel Air flight bound for Miami lost cabin pressure and was forced to make an emergency landing. The Consulate understands that, in the last six months, four other Insel Air flights have returned to Curaçao after takeoff due to pressurization or electrical problems. Other safety considerations have led Aruban and Curaçao authorities to ground a number of aircraft for further inspection. This policy applies only to the official travel of U.S. Consulate personnel and will be reevaluated as Insel Air’s safety condition improves.
    For further information about security in Curaçao:
    • See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Curaçao Country Specific Information.
    • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
    • The U.S. Consulate General in Curaçao is located at J.B. Gorsiraweg 1, Curaçao. During business hours, call +599(9) 461-3066. For after-hours emergencies, call +599(9) 510-6870.

Last edited by dny810; 02-01-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: miss spelling
    Dave B

The high airfares from NYC to BON are a big deterrent to frequent repeat visits to BON. The new JB flights to CUR are half the price. Unfortunately trying to save some money to fly through CUR to BON just doesn't seem to make sense (at least to me). While sitting in the CUR airport last month waiting for our return flight on JB to NYC (our first dive trip to CUR) I watched with amazement the Insel flight delays being posted and extended on the board. I am waiting for JB to start flights to BON. Until then I will still return to BON but when I can go to other destinations such as GC, Provo and now CUR for half, it will not be as often.

We overnight in Curacao, stay at Plaza Hotel. The Hotel rooms are dated but the do fine. I love the bar at the waterside and I love the series of restaurants adjacent to the hotel on the water.

tkaelin,

A friend of ours is a Jet Blue pilot--he sez to keep requesting a flight to Bonaire. There is a place on the JB website to do so. We are hoping for Ft Lauderdale to Bonaire or at least Curacao.....AND, with Insel seemingly on it's last wings?? Might be soonish! .....It does seem that DiviDivi Air is quite successful (many years of reliability) operating their Britten Norman 9 passenger Islanders, so have been wondering if they could scale that up to a Fokker 50 or similar to service our and all the other Bonaire groups.

I see something about ferry service between Curacao and Bonaire every few years. Some have started service, others never start. None have had any success. I don't think any service is planned right now and it has been a year or so since I last heard anything about ferry service....

Thanks for the info jimw. Will do.

I went to the JB website and submitted my suggested new route. We should start a campaign using both BT and SB!

Agreed!