Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mosquitoes.

Telstar2112 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Great, Thanks.

we just got back from two weeks on the island, all the grocery stores we went into had some form of mosquito repellent in stock,

We used two cans of deep woods off, half a bottle of cactus juice, one can of indoor outdoor fogger. Only one mosquito bite or it could have been the cactus in front of the bungalow.

Dave

Several people have mentioned Cactus Juice. It is great that this product works for them. However, it's important to be aware that Cactus Juice contains no active ingredients that are scientifically proven to repel mosquitos. Given the fact that there are multiple mosquito borne illnesses that can be contracted on the island (Zika being most prevalent currently), I don't feel that it is safe to recommend this product to others. It is really important to stick with products that are proven to work, such as those with Picaridin or Deet.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...her-arthropods

coldwaterlloyd Lurker

I have to agree , in 2009 when i relied on the juice , I got the dengue , use chemicals for protection ... CL

diverdan1 is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Just got back on Sunday and it was the first trip ever that I did not get bit by any mosquitoes, actually only saw a couple. We use the picaridin stuff (natrapel or sawyers), but probably were just lucky they were not around as much as usual.

i was on a trip to Roatan Honduras a few years ago and someone told me of a great mosquito/noseums repellent. The original flavor (yellow/gold) Listerine, put into a small spray bottle and apply. it worked well and is non toxic to everything

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by rossell View Post
    i was on a trip to Roatan Honduras a few years ago and someone told me of a great mosquito/noseums repellent. The original flavor (yellow/gold) Listerine, put into a small spray bottle and apply. it worked well and is non toxic to everything
    You may find these articles interesting.

Does Listerine Mouthwash Help Keep Mosquitoes Away?

The Claim: Listerine Can Ward Off a Swarm of Mosquitoes

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Telstar2112 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Great, thanks. I am here now at Buddy Dive, and the mosquitos are few and far between. We have kept all the doors and windows open, no screens, the breeze blows right through and it has been no problem at all. We have dove all over the island but with the strong breeze no sign of mosquitos anywhere.

If it doesn't contain DEET it's just marinade