Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins joined us on one dive

Default Dolphins joined us on one dive

I have made 489 dives on Bonaire. On many occasions I have seen dolphins as they swim past our resort on Bonaire and occasionally I have seen them from the boat or have heard them while I was diving on Bonaire. But on December 14 while diving at Sharon's Serenity off Klein Bonaire we had a pod of about 30 dolphins swim past us about an hour into the dive as we were exploring under the boat.

I will post a more complete trip report at a later date but I wanted to give you a link for the short video I got as they swam past.

Attached Images Attached Images

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Wow! That's fantastic! I encountered a dolphin cow and calf at Tori's Reef several years ago. I was diving solo at the time and had left my video camera at the villa. My story raised a few skeptical eyebrows back at the villa and the dive shop, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Kudos on your long dive history on Bonaire. We're on-island now for our 29th through 31st weeks, spread over the past 19 years. On my first dive this trip I passed the 300 hour mark for Bonaire bottom time. I thought I was a Bonaire mossback but I can't help but feel humbled when I read of experience like yours.

Unfortunately (from a diving perspective) our longer trips in recent years have resulted in fewer dives per day. It's rare now for us to dive more than twice a day. One a day is often the norm when it's just the two of us. But 400 hours underwater on Bonaire is still my next goal.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

very nice video---and not just one but lots! Checking to get some info on waster visibility that you encountered during your trip from shore diving and if things have settled down somewhat from the storm? Recent rains will add to some of the lack of clarity but just wondering it was for you. We heading down in 32-days for 3-weeks and really cannot wait to get back on island.

Cornhusker out!

I'm on Bonaire now. Visibility is down a bit due to unusually rainy December, but other than that it's business as usual underwater.

Way cool! They're so graceful and regal looking, makes us divers look kind of ungainly underwater.

wwguy,

First, if no one else saw it and you don't have pictures or video, it didn't happen. That is our rule but I know I have seen things that no one else saw and no one believes me.
    I never thought of calculating my bottom time on Bonaire. Luckily, Ecel makes it easy to do. I have 457.3667 hours of bottom time on Bonaire (over 19 days). I should be able to top 500 hours in a couple of more trips. This year we only made 21 dives. I guess we have slowed down on our diving frequency. I used to shoot for 5 dives a day but in my mid 60's we only got 3 or 4 this year. Maybe I'm just out of shape.

Cornhusker,

The visibility was poor (by Bonaire standards) most days. It was like good conditions in the Bahamas or Keys. The shallows were often 25 to 30 feet due to surge and 50 to 75 feet on the wall. If the rain stopped for a day it cleared up quickly. Part of the problem was that the sky was often cloudy and that really affects the intensity of colors on the reef and visibility, especially when you are relying on ambient light for video and pictures.

Here is a picture taken in September 2015:
    Bon15 Anchor Kim (1 of 1).jpg
    And here is one taken in December 2016.
    Painting Lanai small (1 of 1).jpg
    I can usually see this anchor from the steps to the dock at Carib Inn. This year I swam past it on the way to the wall and did not see it. I had to swim around on the way back in to find it.
    It was still a great time. We had a couple of divers join us for their first trip to Bonaire and they were amazed at the visibility.

And good luck the Huskers against Tennessee in the bowl game.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If the Huskers win let me know when you will be on Bonaire and I will prepay some refreshments for you to quench your thirst! We have friends who lived on St. John and on a trip over to Jost and prepaid for some drinks for friends who were arriving later. Something a little fun about telling someone to collect a drink they need to go on vacation!

Cornhusker

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mike View Post
    I never thought of calculating my bottom time on Bonaire. Luckily, Ecel makes it easy to do.
    Microsoft Excel is how I've summarizing my Bonaire diving too. It's fun to track stats like increasing bottom time and decreasing SAC rate over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mike View Post
    The visibility was poor (by Bonaire standards) most days. It was like good conditions in the Bahamas or Keys. The shallows were often 25 to 30 feet due to surge and 50 to 75 feet on the wall. If the rain stopped for a day it cleared up quickly. Part of the problem was that the sky was often cloudy and that really affects the intensity of colors on the reef and visibility, especially when you are relying on ambient light for video and pictures.
    Great summary. It's still like that. We've also seen it like this before after big Bonaire rains in December, but never this much rain for such an extended period in December. Most of the locals are commenting on it around the island too. Water is everywhere right now.

I finally found time in my busy retirement schedule (consulting has kept me traveling almost as much as when I was working full time) to edit a short trailer video of my dive trip in December. I need to find more time for editing my videos. I still have raw video from our trip last month to Bonaire and three other trips that I haven't even looked at yet. And in two weeks I will producing more video while diving in Cuba. Anyway, here is the video that I just finished from my December trip:

https://youtu.be/ythRZ1Ixq_g

Thanks so much , just beautiful....