Thread: Mosquitos!

ceh is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Mosquitos!

We are here for our maybe 18th time and have never been here with so many mosquitoes! There had been a lot of rain and there is standing water everywhere so...mosquitoes. If you are coming soon bring the strongest bug repellant you can find. Many stores are out of it. Zika is pretty prelevant from what I am hearing so come prepared.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Gin--lots of gin as juniper I have been told repels those pesky bugs! Yes I have seen lots of rain over the past few weeks and hope that officials are being proactive rather than reactive as tourism is the key to their economy.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the warning. We're looking forward to coming down next week and swatting as many of these thirsty little bloodsuckers as possible. Last year we had a bat that would visit us every evening at dusk on our patio to harvest mosquitos until he was fat and happy. He was there pretty much every evening for almost 3 weeks. This year we're renting a home at the top of the hill in Santa Barbara. We're hoping that the higher and more easterly location will deliver consistent wind conditions that discourage mosquitoes from hanging around.

We've also found that some local stores, such as Zhung Kong in Hato, carry relatively inexpensive rechargeable handheld bug zappers that look kind of like little electronic tennis rackets. Not only are they fairly effective but they also provide a satisfying "zap" and blue spark that keeps me entertained for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    If you are coming soon bring the strongest bug repellant you can find.
    Not sure about picaridin but I've read credible reports that higher concentrations of of DEET don't repel insects more effectively, they just repel them for a longer period of time. With Bonaire's warm moist tropical environment we all might do better to stick with normal concentrations and reapply often. I know for me that between the sun, ocean, pool, wetsuit, clothes, and towel etc. that any concentration of insect repellent doesn't stay on my skin for very long.

We also bring DEET wipes in foil travel packets for easy application right before we disembark the plane in Bonaire. Somehow the local mosquitoes seem to smell a fresh rube coming from a kilometer away.

ceh is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Last year was much drier and hardly any mosquitoes. Everything looks much lusher now with the rain. So much rain some roads are ponds but all this standing water is mosquito heaven. In the phone office they said two people are out with Zika and the dive shop has 4 out. Not something we had to think about last year.

We've have pretty good luck using Cactus Juice to repel mosquitoes and such.

You can check them out here: http://cactusjuicetm.com/

Note: I have no financial interest in the company. Only have found that their products have been effective.

We have been fairly lucky the last few times we have visited. But then we normally travel to Bonaire when it tend to be less rainy. Having said that, I have been during "rainy season" and the mosquitoes can be quite intense. My wife is VERY sensitive to mosquito bites so it is something that is always on our mind. I, and my traveling buddies, have tried just about everything from lemon eucalyptus, to picardin, to skin so soft, to cactus juice. The only thing that seems to work consistently across people and years is DEET. Picardin comes in a close second. Having said that, while picardin works for me, it doesn't work for my wife. This past year, I took the additional step of using permethrin spray on some of my shirts. Can't really say if it helped or not, as it was VERY dry when we were there, but I had a really bad experience a couple years ago where a whole cloud of mosquitoes bit me through a thin shirt I was wearing. I have had particularly good luck with the Sawyer "controlled release" cream products (first with DEET and this year with picardin). Mosquito coils also seem to be effective. They can be hard to find on the island so we bring our own. Since it seems to be so person dependent, I'd say this:

1. Window screens are good. You are lucky if the place your staying has them and they are still in tact. If you don't have them, think about how to keep the little buggers out of where you are going to be at night. If we don't have screens, we typically leave the apartment closed. At night I leave a lit mosquito coil out on the balcony and that tends to help keep them away from the doorway and from us, if we are out there. We used to let the wind blow through during the day, but found that mosquitoes would hide under the bed and in the curtains.
    2. When out, especially at night, wear repellent. If you can tolerate it, wear pants or sleeves. We slather up before heading out the door and take a small spray bottle of DEET (or wipes) along. Make sure you get all places where the mosquitoes can go. Soles of your feet, inside the openings of pant legs, etc. And remember, it is possible for a mosquito to fly under an un-tucked shirt, dress or skirt. Note that mosquitoes can bite through thin fabric.
    3. DEET, especially at high concentrations, is a plasticizer. That means it can "dissolve" certain plastics, rubberized items, etc. So be careful with it around dive computers, watches, wetsuits, etc. One more reason to not necessarily buy the 100% DEET!
    4. Mosquitoes seem to prefer dark clothing. And, if you leave your gear out at night to dry, shake it out before use. Dive gear tends to be black and inevitably, the mosquitoes are hiding in there in the morning. The mosquito coil l leave on the balcony seems to help keep them away from our black dive gear if we have it out there overnight.
    5. +1 on the "tennis-racket" bug zappers.