Thread: Curacao to Bonaire to Curacao Options

Lakewood, Washington - the cold, green waters of the Pacific Northwest!

Default Curacao to Bonaire to Curacao Options

Hi All!

It seems that with options after April of 2017 being only the weekend flights of United & Delta, that once again I will be doing mileage tickets to Curacao and then taking a "puddle Jumper" Curacao to Bonaire and back. We'll do a Wednesday to Wednesday stay at one of the resorts, which works best for us.

Options?

1) Inselair seems just frightening. They weren't super reliable before, and now seem to be REALLY risky.

2) DiviDivi seems like a decent option, although with only 9 passenger planes we better not procrastinate on tickets!
    -Does DiviDivi still appear reliable?

-Does anyone have information about baggage allowance / charges on DiviDivi? It wasn't readily apparent on their website.

Any other options Curacao to Bonaire round-trip?

Thanks for your help!

-Tom

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

http://flydivi.com/baggage_restricti...CheckedBaggage

I have used Divi several times and was happy with them.
    check their schedule for your connections

Tom - I was about to ask the same questions. If you don't mind I'll tag on here. I've used other airlines directly and love Delta, but this year I was actually able to get flights from AA Advantage so I have free flights to Cur. I know that if you get off a plane in Cur, you have to get your luggage and cart it around the outside of the building and then back in. My concern is how much time do you need to do this. I've done it before but I know it can vary. So I'm interested in recent attempts successful or not. I am on Island in April and hope I'm booking far enough out. I've used Insel with success, but I've heard some awful stories. I have no experience with Divi.....

I would be very interested in finding out how Divi handled your luggage. If the weight exceeds the limit, what do they do????

I wonder why neither Insel nor Divi coordinates their flight times with the arrival of the American flight. The American flight gets into Curacao at 9:45PM. Checking into a hotel, then back out the next morning is a pain. Would be better to fly on to Bonaire late but, Divi and Insel don't seem to be interested.

Divi does not fly at night. Their last flight of the day is at 5pm. Take the 11am AA Miami-Curacao and on to Bonaire the same day at 3:30 or 5pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Divi does not fly at night. Their last flight of the day is at 5pm. Take the 11am AA Miami-Curacao and on to Bonaire the same day at 3:30 or 5pm.
    I am going to estimate at least an hour to get thru immigration and get your luggage, but can vary a lot. American is a big flight, that's good and bad, crowded thru immigration, but baggage handlers are around and expecting it. On the way back into Curacao a little bus will transport you from the Divi flight, or you will walk the tarmack. If at all possible take all your luggage with you, rather than letting Divi give it to the baggage handlers. We waited an hour to get our luggage (only pieces on the plane), and no other planes coming in. Almost missed our American flight. Easy for the baggage handlers to overlook. Cannot say enough good stuff about Divi, though. Only issue we have had has been their charge machine not working (several times), so we had to pay cash for our flight, now I think you can pay in advance. They are very dependable and accommodating. Complete opposite of Insel.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Last time we arrived with KLM, Divi personel waited for us at the gate and helped us get past customs quickly.
    The even helped us with the luggage to get quickly to the Divi counter.
    very accommodating.

When all our children accompanied us on a trip we made a private trip with divi and did some sightseeing on Curacao.

I really appreciate all of the replies!

Divi does seem to be a good, viable option for this route. Got my tickets for April May!

I made sure to get the American tickets that have me arriving early (2:16 PM) to Curacao on the leg going TO Bonaire, so that I can get to Bonaire on the same day via Divi. We are on the last Divi flight of the day, departing CUR for BON at 5:00 PM. For my comfort level I would have wished for an earlier flight, because if anything goes wrong there are no more options until the next day. However, Divi's 3:30 PM flight is too tight a connection, in my opinion, to depend on. Although we might try heading up to the counter and see if there is a last minute possibility, but for now the 5:00 PM is perfect.

This makes my trek from Seattle longer, necessitating either a stay in a connecting city or else a red eye. However, that is a small price to pay in my opinion, and I'd rather do that than spend a night in Curacao. I have done that, staying at Apartamentu Hollanda, and had a fine experience, but for me the point is GETTING THERE!

On the return trip we take an early Divi flight (leaving BON at 8:45 AM) to connect with the American flight to Miami that departs at 3:15 PM - plenty of time to get our bags and make the connection without rushing.

Again, this requires an overnight on the return trip to Seattle, but it is not a big deal to get a reasonable room in a connecting city from a hotel that has a shuttle.
    As I mentioned, for me what "drives this train" is A. I'm on a mileage ticket. B. I can't / don't want to do a weekend, (eliminating a Delta mileage ticket) because that puts me away 3 weekends on a two week trip and that is not acceptable personally. C. This leaves the daily American flight into Curacao from Miami as the best option for a miles ticket. When Insel was reliable this was no big deal, but with Insel flaking out as of late I am really happy to hear that Divi is a good option.

Thanks to all, and I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

Oh, and as a quick follow-up, flying Divi out of Curacao allows you to have a stay at a property that is mid-week to mid-week. Probably for the majority of folks a weekend beginning and ending of a trip is just fine, but for those of us that are self-employed and have some control over our schedule the mid-week travel is very nice.

Just make sure that you arrange with the property that you are arriving mid-week. For some places that might be a deal breaker, as they may have their property empty for 3 or 4 days because the next guest is coming on a weekend. I found it workable for most of the places I checked, but be aware of that dynamic BEFORE you get your tickets.