Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utility Info Please--

That's very helpful info!

Upstate/Central NY Fingerlakes region near Syracuse, NY

I want to say "kudos" to StanZ (BTW, we stay at LBR #7 when we come down in April) for the chart and back him up with my own off-Bonaire experience. I did a total remodel of our home in upstate, central NY 3 years ago and included in the remodel was changing every light fixture and ceiling fans with lights to LED. Amazed at how much lower the electric bill became. I'm surprised to not see major solar usage on Bonaire.
    "Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by 1bajapilot View Post
    I'm surprised to not see major solar usage on Bonaire.
    Until recently (2016 if memory serves) WEB would not allow privately owned solar systems to connect to their grid. Thus until recently the main application for privately-owned solar on the island was primarily to power remote kunukus (rural farms) that are off of WEB's grid due to their remote locations. Laws have changed in recent years, making it possible for private solar systems to also connect to WEB's grid and even feed excess unused electricity back into the grid. I'm not sure if WEB has infrastructure in place yet to credit customers for the excess solar power fed into their grid.

Several new solar businesses, including a Honeywell Solar branch office, have sprouted up on the island over the past few years. So change is happening... just at typical island life speed.

WEB allows excess solar power into their grid but only credits you a tiny fraction of what they charge for the same power. Expect at last a one year delay before you see any credits. The biggest draw back with solar power on Bonaire is that the solar systems available only supplement 2 of the 3 phases of power delivered to your house by WEB. By code, you need to evenly distribute the power draw across all three power phases delivered by WEB. Your pool pumps, AC units and hot water heaters use two phases. Most lighting and convenience outlets only use one phase. If your 2 phase powered equipment draws from one solar supplemented phase and a non-supplemented phase, your meter only records the non-supplemented phase and you see no savings. Go solar to be green - don't expect to see any real savings anytime soon.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I have figured out the electric metering and billing for our stay but asking for a little help with the water. I took a picture of the meter and it has a total of 7-rolling numbers with the first 4-numbers in white and final 3-numbers in red. A reading on Monday am was 2995-239 and reading Friday am was 2996-675 so he meter reading showed a sage of 0001-46andyqestion is did we use 1,436 gallons during that time frame?

Reason for the short reading is pool was filthy on our arrival as prior renter was family of 10 that bathed in sun lotion and could not see bottom of pool as looked like small curdered milk floating al over. Pool guy up every day, backwash, partially drained them refilled the pool 2-times with more chemical treatments--water usage was nuts and them kids arrived for total of 7-people so usage much higher than just the 2-of us.

Looking at other places for next year that charge for water and electric and just want to make sure I budget enough in my plan. Help is appreciated as 2-3 month next year is the plan

Royce

it's cubic meters here not gallons

Hi Royce, I have a VR at Elegancia del Caribe if you are looking for a stay next year. I'm watching the electric and water use of guests and so far everyone has been well below the $15 per day, there's such a nice breeze and the unit is fully screened. https://www.vrbo.com/1219460
    ~Jeyna

One cubic meter is 264.17 gallons

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

thanks to all for the info as I was really concerned I was wasting lots of water and glad to know that was not the case. Last week here but planning 2019 return as only 11-months to go!