Thread: After effects of Matthew

Default After effects of Matthew

IMG_7476.jpgWe arrived Saturday afternoon to a breezy hot overcast day with no sign of any damage and calm seas.

Sunday was pleasant, complete with sunbathers out on the pier at the Bellafonte Hotel. The ocean got pretty rough in the evening with the wind blowing in from the east. This morning we woke up to loud waves crashing on the pier and watching the deck furniture floating out to sea.

Sorry I can't rotate image. This is whats left of the Bellafonte Hotel pier just before sunset.

The waves have been crashing on the south point from what we can see from the Hotel - the houses there have apparently sustained lots of water infiltration. Bachelor Beach is washed away. We have declined a recommendation to evacuate and we're hoping we don't get an order to evacuate. I imagine they fear the sea will come over the road at EEG Boulevard and we might lose power. We missed the storm but get to witness and experience the after effects.
    Last edited by ChrisL; 10-04-2016 at 07:07 PM.

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

2016-10-04i Matthew Aftermath - Diana's.jpg
    2016-10-04j Matthew Aftermath - Diana's.jpg
    2016-10-04p Matthew Aftermath - Club Nautico.jpg
    I can confirm what ChrisL has said, but it is really weird. The areas south have been a disaster, starting at Te Amo Beach south to at least Angel City - we did not go further south this morning. Windsock looked like the Pipeline in Hawaii. The area in the center of town from Karel's bar (and perhaps a little further south) north to Something Special have been a little rough but nowhere near the waves we saw south. Northern sites starting at Sunset Beach are very rough but nowhere what has been happening south. Bari Reef was getting pounded. We stopped by a friend's house located between Bel-Air and Belmar in Belnem and she had already lost her deck and the roof over the deck, and her deck was about 15 feet above the normal water level, plus she had a very sturdy seawall. The waves were crashing above the height of her second floor, and she was taking water into the house in spite of having steel window coverings. Fortunately, steel doors protected the sliding glass doors. Not a pretty scene. Posting two photos from her place and a photo from the balcony of the place we are staying near It Rains Fishes, taken a half hour later. Go figure. Forecast was for the waves to pound the Belnem area for 24 more hours. Heard that Te Amo Beach was gone, but did not check it out.

Thanks Chris for the update, any further updated information would be appreciated.
    Stay safe

I thought Bonaire got away.... stay safe everyone!

We tried for the buffet breakfast at Spice Club on Eden Beach this morning well north of where we are staying - it looks like their kitchen got flooded and trashed. The beach sand was washed away down to rocks and off-shore pool and ocean met They were able to serve us some bread, fruits and very good coffee at the bar - clean up efforts were happening slowly (Bonaire speed) all around us. Pier was off-limits pending structural inspections. None of the damage could be classified as catastrophic, unless you are the insured filing the claim I've heard from locals that 18m waves were hitting the west shore, I saw maybe 7-10m waves with 10m wakes & splash most of yesterday, but regardless, it was a unexpected all-day pounding of Bonaire that will keep the local contractors extra busy until Thanksgiving or Christmas. Seas are calmer - I'm w/o a buddy and am doing a boat dive with Dive Friends early tomorrow. We were home buying related business busy until this evening - time to finally relax.

Anyone know the status of the docks at Belmar? Thanks in advance.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Dock at Sebastians still under repair as of today .. we have reservations for the pier table next Wednesday, but that looks doubtful
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

We have reservations for the pier table at Sebastians on Valentines Day - I'm sure it will be fixed by then?

The Pier was fixed last week. All is well.