Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Air tank through TSA to Bonaire?

tholland is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Spare Air tank through TSA to Bonaire?

Has anybody been able to get through TSA airport security while hand carrying their "Spare Air" mini backup air tank? I'm thinking of purchasing 'spare air' for safety while diving on Bonaire but am worried about getting through TSA security with it.
    any tips welcome!

Travelling with any sized tank is a dreadful experience. If you go onto TSA's website it clearly outlines
    that the valve must be removed for tank inspection. Meaning ifyou wanted tobut Nitrox into that tank upon arrival
    the tankand valve would need to be oxygen-cleaned.
    I had the experience taking CCR tanks to
    Truk
    Lagoon.

I have traveled with a spare air through TSA numerous times. I do travel with the tank in checked luggage with the valve removed. I also go to the TSA website and download the rules regarding travel with tanks with the valve removed, highlight the appropriate text and rubber band it to the tank. I dive Nitrox, but always fill the spare air with air, and not Nitrox so it is not a particularly big deal. Be aware that a spare air provides little more then a breath or two, and after hundreds of dives I have never used mine. After blowing a high pressure o-ring late in a dive years ago that obviously ended well. ascending with my buddies alternate air source I take a little comfort in the extra margin of safety. However between airline weight restrictions, and the size limitations of the spare air I'm not sure it is even worth the minimal hassle or expense any more.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by DiverChris View Post
    Travelling with any sized tank is a dreadful experience. If you go onto TSA's website it clearly outlines
    that the valve must be removed for tank inspection. Meaning ifyou wanted tobut Nitrox into that tank upon arrival
    the tankand valve would need to be oxygen-cleaned.
    I had the experience taking CCR tanks to
    Truk
    Lagoon.
    This is a little different. With a Spare Air, you can fill (once the valve is back on) with air, or even premixed Nitrox, no big deal. But with CCR tanks, one of them has O2 in it, so the O2-cleaning is mandatory, or at least highly advised.....
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by tholland View Post
    Has anybody been able to get through TSA airport security while hand carrying their "Spare Air" mini backup air tank? I'm thinking of purchasing 'spare air' for safety while diving on Bonaire but am worried about getting through TSA security with it.
    any tips welcome!

No problem so long as the valve is removed.
    But a better solution might be to rent a small pony while in Bonaire....cheaper, bigger, no travel hassle.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Thanks to all who replied to my question!

Fly with Spair Aire regularly, no problem. Remove top, include TSA rules and you will be fine. Conger says you get a breath or two, actually you get more. At 60' I get 6 full breaths and I'm a big (6'5" 275#) guy. I've never needed it but at the end of my trip I have tested it at depth several times. It won't give you a safety stop but it will get you safely and slowly to the surface.

Thumbs up Spare Air To Bonaire (getting through TSA with Spare Air)

Thanks Thom! That's exactly what I need! Just enough air to have a safe ascent in case of a major failure!

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    Fly with Spair Aire regularly, no problem. Remove top, include TSA rules and you will be fine. Conger says you get a breath or two, actually you get more. At 60' I get 6 full breaths and I'm a big (6'5" 275#) guy. I've never needed it but at the end of my trip I have tested it at depth several times. It won't give you a safety stop but it will get you safely and slowly to the surface.

Default Test it yourself before you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by tholland View Post
    Thanks Thom! That's exactly what I need! Just enough air to have a safe ascent in case of a major failure!
    At the end of a dive when you are at about 60' breathe off it until it runs out. Then you will know.

I get a full large tank at the beginning of each trip and sit it in my room. I use it to fill my spare air's and to blow the water off the pc connections on my dive computer. You can refil your spare at will.

very good advice Thom, thanks! I'll be sure to test it!

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    At the end of a dive when you are at about 60' breathe off it until it runs out. Then you will know.

I get a full large tank at the beginning of each trip and sit it in my room. I use it to fill my spare air's and to blow the water off the pc connections on my dive computer. You can refil your spare at will.