Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Status of the dock by Den Lamen

There is a lot of confusion about this situation.

Debbie the manager of Sand Dollar told me for guests this week, you are ok to use it if and only if you are a guest of den lamen or Sand Dollar and are also paying to dive with dive friends.

I don't know about owners. At one point dive friends told me that only owners with the seaside consortium and guests staying in those owners condos could use the dock. I don't know if that is with or without dive friends. That information was not correct according to Debbie.

All of this would imply that even if you are booked with dive friends, if you were staying elsewhere, you could not use the dock. This is an exception to the multiple dock facility benefit of using dive friends.

dive friends is hoofing their tanks down to the dock in the same manner as BDA. Currently, the only dive friends compressors are at hamlet oasis and dive inn. That means that they have to move a lot of tanks every day.

as I am currently using doubles, I have to get my fills at hamlet oasis. There are massive potholes full of water at hamlet oasis right now. this is certainly not as convenient as if BDA was still around.

Not pertinent the thread but Dive Friends also has a compressor at Port Bonaire.

Good to know. That would save a long trip back to the city.

Dive Friends has taken over the Lease for the facility between Sand Dollar and Den Laman. It will be a private pier for shareholders of Seaside Ventures (owners of the facility) and their renters and guests while staying at Sand Dollar or Den Laman. The location is not available to other customers of Dive Friends and it will not be a pick-up or drop off point except for those divers staying at the 2 resorts.

There is a public access point for Bari Reef on the south side of Den Laman that is accessed from the traffic circle.
    Last edited by ModRoy; 01-08-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: deleted Triple Echo
    Nobody is born knowing how to dive; we must practice, practice, practice.

We just finished our week of diving with Dive Friends while staying at Sand Dollar. We are still not sure how the Seaside Ventures thing works or what exactly it is, however we used the dock.

Dive Friends is currently moving into the old BDA shop location. Once that is complete, they will abandon their current shack on the Sand Dollar property. While we were there, there were some issues with the water not being turned on to the dock and a lighting issue in the night.

Dive Friends was very helpful in trying to provide temporary fixes while all that is straightened out. They ran a hose to the dock for the fill tanks and for shower uses. They have put on realtor type push button boxes with keys to the gates so there is 24 hour access. They have several carts for transporting gear between the shack and the dock.

Because Dive Friends does not have a compressor on site, they have to transport tanks to the dock and tank locker every day. This means that the size distribution of the tanks is sometimes insufficient. There were lots of 80s, but only a few 63s. Several times the women in our party had to use 80s instead of 63s. We often imported 63s ourselves from the Hamlet Oasis / Cliff site.

We found the service to be a little variable. Elsa and Sean were quite responsive and did a great job. On the other hand, they had a young man who serviced the dock who I had to have words with in order to do something as simple as change some weights out for us while we were in the water. Hopefully, they will straighten him out.

Why aren't they using BDA's compressor? Is it still there?

In 2015 signing a waiver and showing a C card at the dive shop was all that was necessary. In May of 2017 we spent two weeks on Bonaire and when asked an employee if diving from their dock was permitted he brashly, loudly, and rudely told me in no uncertain terms that only Den Lamen guests could access the dock. I'll not even go there and ask this year. I'll be at Buddy Dive for two weeks in July.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDiverDan View Post
    In 2015 signing a waiver and showing a C card at the dive shop was all that was necessary. In May of 2017 we spent two weeks on Bonaire and when asked an employee if diving from their dock was permitted he brashly, loudly, and rudely told me in no uncertain terms that only Den Lamen guests could access the dock. I'll not even go there and ask this year. I'll be at Buddy Dive for two weeks in July.
    Do you mean May of "2016"? That was accurate and the tenor of what many reported at that time. As of the first of 2017, Dive Friends is the operator....

Thanks Jim. Being an owner at sand $, i was very concerned with this posting. Yes, we have changed over from BDA to Dive Friends running our pier. Everyone has been happy with this change over as it is still going through settling in but will end up being a plus for divers. It remains a private dock for Den and Sand $ shareholders, owners and guests.

Yes, pardon my typo. It was May 2016