Thread: Reverse help needed

Julia is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Reverse help needed

Hope folks wont mind a question to Bonaire lovers about the US. Bob and I are planning a big trip and we have the option of two nights in LA or San Francisco. Anyone have any thoughts, taking into account the fact that we have never been to the USA and we like wildlife. I apologise for this not being a question about Bonaire but I thought people who love Bonaire like we do might give us better advice than a travel agent. Thanks

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Wildlife? LA or SFO?
    Not sure I understand the connection.

SFO is the more interesting city, by far.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

+1 for SFO great city with lots to do.

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Ditto Mel and Chris. San Francisco is wonderful.

We have cousins who live in the Richmond District (on 6th Avenue between Geary and California Aves, and right near the Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park and the Presidio) and we love visiting them. Within a block of their home is a street with a wonderful and eclectic group of Asian and international restaurants. Lots of very good restaurants and sites throughout the city and surrounding area, plus an efficient and user-friendly public transportation (bus and light rail) system. The cable car rides throughout the city are a great tourist attraction as well as a means of getting around. Beautiful beaches on the Pacific as well as on the entrance to San Francisco Bay (known as the Golden Gate). Cross the Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin Headlands and you are in an area with great views and possible wildlife sightings. Travel a small distance (perhaps up to 100 miles) out of the city and there are many other beautiful areas including Monterey and Monterey Bay, Mt. Tam, Stimson Beach and a small redwood forest. Also across the bay is Berkley and its surrounding towns and much more.

Having frequently been to both LA and SF on business over my 40-year working career, I prefer SF. Keep in mind, neither is cheap for a tourist.

If you decide to go to SF, PM me and I will provide some specific suggestions.

Enjoy.

Mark

While neither is what I would consider a wildlife friendly city, I agree that your two days would be far better served by staying in San Francisco over LA. Wonderful city, with wonderful restaurants and sights.

Julia is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for all the help. It looks like SF will be a better choice. As to wildlife I put it badly, I was thinking about parks, nature and open spaces. Looks like we will have two full days so SF looks to have more to offer in a smaller area. Many thanks again.

I agree with the other posters. San Francisco is preferred. As for what to do, it depends on what you want. There is a lot of very nice scenery north of the city. Cross the Golden Gate and you have your choice of nice scenery from Mt. Tam to Point Reyes to Tomales Bay. If you are into wine, you could do a day trip up to Napa/Sonoma. In the city there is a LOT to do. Not sure what days of the week you'd be there but keep in mind that traffic in either LA or SF can be horrible depending on the time of day . . .

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We are almost neighbours and prefer SFO
    Go to Sauselito and the Muir woods
    Sonoma wine country
    Yosemity (several days)
    I love Monterey (Bay aquarium) and Carmel
    Santa Cruz with its board walk
    Highway 1

A motorhome was my preferred means of transportation, but not in SFO

I agree with other posters that SF is a better choice.... Lets not forget the wildlife in SF, the sea lions at pier 39.... LOA

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If you like chines food: go to the house of nankin.
    Be early. We were there at 17:30 and were seated. One hour later there was a long line outside.
    the interior is very simple, food is good. I always let the owner choose the meals.
    Dont expect to be there all evening. 1.5 hours max.

I forgot to mention Big Sur specifcally.
    And rent a bike to cross the bridge