Thread: Insel Air

Thumbs down Insel Air

Insel Air's new name Insult Air or Inshallah Air!
    That namme change after our experience last week.

Our plane was to leave Bon at 7:55 but the day before Insel changed our itinerary to 9.40. This time change, later became 10.40, which became 11.40 (which incidentally, was the same time our Cur-MIA flight was due to leave). At about, 12PM, they informed us our plane was being switched, since passengers going to Aruba and South America would miss their connecting flights if they didnít get our plane. At this point, they also told us and the other the MIA passengers, to sit tight, since a new plane would arrive soon and this plane, would after a short stopover in CUR also be the same plane, that would go onto MIA. BUT we would still have to depart the plane and pass through CUR immigration. We were now however, still on BON. and we were given food vouchers (compensation?) which provided us with a greasy fried roll. After taking one bite we threw it out. At 1 pm we took off for CUR. The plane landed 15 min. later and at 2:30 we again took off, this time headed to the grand olí USA. But, not before I was frisked and my hand luggage torn apart at the gate. The plane had a hard time boarding since no oneís seat numbers fit on the "newest" changed bookings. My wife was told her seat number was 1B in spite of the fact the "new ticket" stub said 11B ( on the stewards paper list.) And I guess this happened with many others. Someone refused to sit down in the back of the plane, I assume because they go the wrong seat numbers and finally the pilot insisted that everyone sit down. He took off and the flight was smooth. Finally, I had to pee. The toilet seat was broken and the toilet smelled really awful, even more hideous was the blood/ faeces on the toilet. Bonairean's must eat a lot of spicy food since our seat area often smelled from farts. We landed in MIA at about 6 PM and we flew through customs. Alas, we ended up waiting for our baggage for over 1.5 hr. I was sure our luggage in all the confusion was sent wrong, but it wasnít. Tired and miserable we headed to Hertz. Naturally after being so late we had no car waiting,

Two years ago, our 7:55 departure flight to Cur then to CLT was also delayed. We finally took off about noon. After some plane juggling, and similar experiences in Curacao, we headed for Charlotte. Very late. And, of course, in Charlotte, not a trace of our luggage was to be found. We had driven from Jacksonville NC to Charlotte, and we had to make the 4 hour drive somewhat later than we should have. I called Insel in Charlotte, Miami and Curacao several times in the following days. Our luggage FINALLY arrived via US Air in Jacksonville NC on Wednesday. The luggage tags indicated it had gone to MIA, back to CUR, to Jacksonville FLORIDA, back to MIA, back to CUR, and finally to Charlotte on Insel. Insel then shipped it to Jacksonville NC on US Air. Needless to say, we now fly Delta from Jacksonville NC, leaving at 6 am, stopping in Atlanta, and arriving safe and sound, and with out luggage, on Bonaire at 1:55. A GREAT experience, I might add. Perfect connections, because we don't leave Bonaire until 3-ish, which allows us to dive the day before.
    Being a trouble maker, by design and choice, I asked the fine folks at Insel in Charlotte if the iguana I had stashed in my luggage would be ok since the luggage was delayed. They didn't find it "that" funny. Is this where I say "whatever"? Oh...no offer of compensation or consideration on future flights was forthcoming. You're lucky you got some food.
    And, we are leaving again in September on Delta...we'll be on our favorite island for TWO weeks. And, I'll be doing part of my morning radio show weekdays from our home away from home. You can catch it on WRHT-FM 96.3 if you're in eastern NC, or on www.thundercountryonline.com anywhere in the world. 6:30-9 eastern. If you're on Bonaire from 10-24 September, look us up at Hamlet Unit 10. If you're from NC, good chance I'll interview you live.

I believe Insel quit flying to Charlotte last January. We took one trip on Insel and went back to Delta through Atlanta despite the cost. Knowing you will get to Bonaire has value.

airline Insult should be avoided at the present time -until their problems are sorted out ans solved

petri hausmann, does Insultair have financial problems? What do they suffer from besides lateness? Part of our group arrived from Miami only a little late Saturday--more coming next week--we'll see what happens!! Many others were on Delta and 2 on United. Please,why should they be avoided at present as opposed to a year or 2 ago.........Thanks in advance!

multiple problems including financial- lack of pilots- bonaire not considered a primary destination so if problems Bonaire is served when it is possible. ie: LAST- frequent cancellations etc. etc.