Thread: Connection time in Atlanta

TankHalfFull is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Connection time in Atlanta

Is a 46 minute layover enough time to make the Bonaire flight? Should be arriving on a larger plane.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I fly thru ATL every week.

Ain't no way in hell I'd try that. But many do, and make it.

I will schedule that turn when I'm traveling on business, and I make it about 75-80% of the time. But I always have a fallback - wait a few hours and take the next flight.

But going to Bon? Hell no.

If somebody in Roswell spits in the creek your in-bound could be delayed.

If you land on the southern-most runway your taxi in will eat up your 46 minutes.

There are a veritable plethora of things that could go wrong, just a bit, and you miss it. Consider that your Bon flight will be boarding about the time you land - unless it is late - and I'd sure depend on that - not.

And arriving on a larger plane just means it takes longer to de-plane if you're not at the front of the bus.

You'll hear a lot of "I made it last time, no problem". And that is true, most times I make it too.

But consider the consequences if you miss.

ETA: do a search. This has been discussed at length many times.
    Brad Ford

staggs is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I've done it before with a 45 min layover in ATL....my plane made it on time. Most of the plane was boarded by the time I got there though but my checked baggage made it fine.....we went straight there and didn't stop for any food or drinks etc.

Luckily we didn't taxi for long at all.....

TankHalfFull is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Looks like going thru Houston on United makes more sense. It gets in so much later to Bonaire, but that's the price for peace of mind. Flying from Austin.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Like Brad above, I too am a frequent business traveller who flies Delta and connects through Atlanta. His words ring true.

Unlike most other flights Delta will occasionally delay the weekly Atlanta departure a few minutes if they know connecting passengers are close due to delayed Delta connections. But I wouldn't bet on it. Delta's contract of carriage requires passengers to be in the boarding area 15 minutes before departure. If the plane is boarded at T-14 minutes, and you aren't on it yet, they can give your seat to someone else and/or just close the door and prepare for departure.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If you do try the short connection and it looks like you're going to miss it hustle on over.

DO NOT GIVE UP until you see the closed door.

Things happen in ATL - and sometimes they're in your favor.
    Brad Ford

We've done it and made it, but it's a harrowing, nerve wracking ordeal. We go down the night before, and stay in an Atlanta hotel. Well worth the money for my peace of mind.

I'm all for no chance of screw ups, long ass layovers etc on the way down. Roll the dice all you want on the way home

Not worth the stress. Go the night before . Lots of choices of where to stay.
    We have been staying in a Marriot , can take the sky train and don't have
    to wait on a shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Not worth the stress. Go the night before . Lots of choices of where to stay.
    We have been staying in a Marriot , can take the sky train and don't have
    to wait on a shuttle.
    Gateway Marriott, we are staying there in a couple of weeks on the way to Bonaire. It was painless last year, so we are repeating.

We always go the day before. Last year there were 24 empty seats on a sold out plane!